User

Default Need to hunt bushpig,

Howsit guys.
    I am dead keen to hunt bushpig in the areas surrounding Durban and even further,like Hilton,Pietermaritzburg or Eston.
    But stuff me,can you find anyone who is willing to share a bait site or even invite you on a hunt??
    So,are there any members here who have access to farms that have pig problems?
    Talk to me okes!!

User

Default Re: Need to hunt bushpig,

Problem is...
    .Everyone wants to shoot a pig but are not prepared to do the work involved to actually get a bushpig into a shootable possition.
    .I did a rough calculation the other day and it costs me about R1200 in fuel and 15 hours in time for each pig i shoot.
    .Besides having a friendly farmer where you can bait,you are allways looking for carcasses such as horses or donkeys [cows will also do] and you allways seem to be brewing up the next batch of mielie bait.
    .Then you need to check/replenish bait at least twice a week.
    .Then you need a 4x4,trail cams are nice,night vision is nice......all costly.
    .Last of all you need to have paid your dues and learnt by your mistakes with these animals.
    So.....for someone to share a bait or to give you an invite is going to be all but impossible.

The best advise i can give is to read up as much as you can and get friendly with a farmer. Just remember that this farmer has to trust you on his property at all hours of the night,on your own.

A little hint as to good places to approach for pigs. Hunting organisations....some chicken breeding places dump all their dead chickens in a particular spot.....as do some cattle/dairy farmers....as do some country eateries with scrap food....nice about these is the fact that baiting is done for you.

Bushpig can also be found really close to urban areas...just remember that it is illegal to discharge an FA in a residential area. Small holdings,orchards and various other crops hold and attract pigs.

User

Thank you for your response and some seriously good pointers.
    I have put in many hours ,baiting,waiting till all hours of the morning etc on a farm down the south coast.This arrangement is through a friend and I am reliant on him as to when we hunt,so it is sporadic,to say the least and therefor frustrating.
    I am more than willing to put in the time and effort to bait etc.I am just needing some other options other than one farm.
    I will definitely explore some of your suggestions.

User

If you have put in the hours,which can be both rewarding and frustrating,and you are keener than ever then you have a problem...called pig fever.

You need your own place.
    Remember that it only takes i contact and that it will last a lifetime if you respect the farmers land,shoot on a sustainable basis and keep up a good relationship with the farmer/land owner.

In some areas you will be helping the farmer,but still, he has to trust you being alone on his land.

Good luck and persevere.