Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: .223 vs 5.56

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Absolutely not. There are minor dimensional differences as well as the thickness of the case not to mention pressure differences in the loaded ammo. Go look at the SAAMI specs and see for yourself.

https://saami.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you put 5.56 brass through a 223 Rem full length die, the outside dimensions are exactly the same. The internal volume (case capacity) needs to be determined and brought into consideration whichever brass you use. As long as you don't exceed the max loads for YOUR 223 Rem, the 5.56 brass is usable. This is assuming you are going to do proper load development for YOUR rifle. Once again, I am refering to The 5.56 BRASS! NOT FACTORY 5.56 AMMO!

User

Default Re: .223 vs 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by philipjordaan10 View Post
    If you put 5.56 brass through a 223 Rem full length die, the outside dimensions are exactly the same. The internal volume (case capacity) needs to be determined and brought into consideration whichever brass you use. As long as you stick to the loads for your 223 Rem, the 5.56 brass is usable. The BRASS! NOT FACTORY 5.56 AMMO!
    DO NOT SHOUT! You never mentioned putting the brass through full size resizing dies and you did not address the volumetric differences.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    DO NOT SHOUT! You never mentioned putting the brass through full size resizing dies and you did not address the volumetric differences.

Davidc,
    Please refer to my first post on this thread where I qouted BBT. He was asking about using once fired 5.56 brass in his 223 and this was what I refered to when I answered him. Neither of us was speaking about 5.56 ammo in a 223Rem.
    If you relaod, I assume you are aware of stuff like Full sizing once fired brass out of a rifle other than your own and about checking case capacity, so I did not see the need to bring that up. My bad.

Some manufacturers stamp their military 5.56 barrels as 223 for civilian/export purposes, like the kalashnikov (Izhmash) saiga for instance. Find out from the manufacturer which cartridge is safe to use.

User

Above is a link to video discussing the various myths an facts regarding 5.56 x 45 vs .223 Remington.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Banned

Many thanks for the replies guys.
    I was asking about using once fired 5.56 brass to reload 223 ammo, and not to try to use 5.56 ammo in a .223 bolt action rifle

User

It seems that that would not be a problem. The only significant difference between 5.56 and 223 are actual chamber dimensions
    Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Many thanks for the replies guys.
    I was asking about using once fired 5.56 brass to reload 223 ammo, and not to try to use 5.56 ammo in a .223 bolt action rifle
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hi All
    My Inglish is not so delicious ;-)
    My 2c worth. I own a .223 and has shoot hundreds of "army rounds'' out of it. They vary from batch to batch and is most of the times loaded on the hottish side to make the AR gas system function properly. I first pulled the bullets to load in my .222 (shellac was removed first), mainly for culling. The bullet tips were just grinded flat (2mm were taken off), this enticed expansion.
    I kept the boxer primed brass. The propellant was discarded because there were two types of propelant used and both were blends.
    I then bought myself a .223, all the brass I kept now came to good use. I used thinners and cleaned the case necks to remove the shellac coating. The cases were partial sized, load development were done and loaded. I got sub MOA groups at 100m and it was sufficient for plinking etc.
    I got hold of some Berdan primers and attempted to reload the once fired ''arrmy brass"...... It was a pain in the backside to remove primers, I used a Berdan primer removal tool and Hydro depriming.
    The last couple of the boxer primed brass I loaded with branded bullets and uses it I do "veld skiette" where I know I’m going to lose brass.
    I still use "army ammo" ammo but just for bore sighting etc. Unfortunately the "army ammo" is running out and I suppose I’ll then will start using Bernaul.

User

G'Day Fella's,

Here is an image that shows the basic differences, in the chamber and throat/lead area;

Hope that helps

D'oh
    Homer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2