User

Default Digital handgun safe

Hi everybody. I know this issue has been discussed a few times already, and I have gone through all the threads I could find but I am still not sure what to do. I need to fit a handgun safe in the bedroom. It is a wood floor so I cannot bolt a big safe to the floor. I will be installing a bigger safe downstairs at a later date as well. For now I just need a handgun safe upstairs. I really want to get a digital safe so that I don't have to worry about the key the whole time. I know it has an override key as well but I will probably store that in a different safe or a digital keylock as well.

There are 2 safes I am looking at currently. Firstly the Yale digital safe. I see they mention that it now has anti-bump technology to prevent the easy opening reported a few years ago. I looked at one of these at Builders over the weekend but there is no info on the box about that or that it complies to the relevant SANS standard.

https://www.thesafeshop.co.za/safes-...afe-sabs-price

I also contacted Mutual safes, they suggested a digital safe that complies with the SANS standard and comes with a certificate. I asked the sales guy about the easy opening and he said that all the digital safes do that since the impact overcomes the solenoid used to operate the door. That does not sound very safe. I asked about the better digital lock mentioned in a previous thread, and apparently the lock itself is almost R2k. Obviously the safe has to be secure so if that is the one to get I will look at that.

I was quoted on BS2535-E 3/6.
    http://www.mutual.co.za/index.php/hotel-safes/

Can you guys please advise if there are other options or which of these 2 options will be the better one to go for? I am going to the local gun shop tomorrow so I will ask them as well.

User

Default Re: Digital handgun safe

Quote Originally Posted by furpile View Post
    Hi everybody. I know this issue has been discussed a few times already, and I have gone through all the threads I could find but I am still not sure what to do. I need to fit a handgun safe in the bedroom. It is a wood floor so I cannot bolt a big safe to the floor. I will be installing a bigger safe downstairs at a later date as well. For now I just need a handgun safe upstairs. I really want to get a digital safe so that I don't have to worry about the key the whole time. I know it has an override key as well but I will probably store that in a different safe or a digital keylock as well.

There are 2 safes I am looking at currently. Firstly the Yale digital safe. I see they mention that it now has anti-bump technology to prevent the easy opening reported a few years ago. I looked at one of these at Builders over the weekend but there is no info on the box about that or that it complies to the relevant SANS standard.

https://www.thesafeshop.co.za/safes-...afe-sabs-price

I also contacted Mutual safes, they suggested a digital safe that complies with the SANS standard and comes with a certificate. I asked the sales guy about the easy opening and he said that all the digital safes do that since the impact overcomes the solenoid used to operate the door. That does not sound very safe. I asked about the better digital lock mentioned in a previous thread, and apparently the lock itself is almost R2k. Obviously the safe has to be secure so if that is the one to get I will look at that.

I was quoted on BS2535-E 3/6.
    http://www.mutual.co.za/index.php/hotel-safes/

Can you guys please advise if there are other options or which of these 2 options will be the better one to go for? I am going to the local gun shop tomorrow so I will ask them as well.
    I enquired about this type of safe at a PE gun shop a few weeks back and were told they are not accepted by SAPS. Could be sales talk though...

User

Default Re: Digital handgun safe

Quote Originally Posted by vinmarvin View Post
    I enquired about this type of safe at a PE gun shop a few weeks back and were told they are not accepted by SAPS. Could be sales talk though...
    Thanks. I have seen this a few times but many other people are using them and were approved by their DFO's.

I also just got feedback from Mutual, apparently the override lock is not a 7 lever lock. Does this not then mean that the safe does not comply to the standard? I saw the Yale one is also only a 6 lever lock.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk