User

Default S21 Applications

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a unique situation, I spend much of my year abroad and I have recently taken the decision to purchase two firearms. On friday, I pulled the trigger so to speak and purchased a CZ P07 and Howa 1500 in 308 Win. I'm in the process of getting dedicated sportsman and dedicated hunter status and I have had competency for a number of years already. While putting together my applications through the normal sections of the FCA, I was made aware of S21 applications. Originally I was resigned to the fact that I'd would only be able to collect my firearm early next year when I return from Europe however it would be a massive convenience to me to be able to collect them sooner for obvious reasons, range time and hunting/competition opportunities included before I fly out at the end of Sept. I don't have much on over the next two months and it would be a perfect opportunity for me to be able to hunt and shoot during this time while I wait for my regular apps to be approved.

With this in mind, I have a few queries relating to a possible S21 application. Can someone in the know please give me some clarity on the issue?

1. Does the S21 app need to be motivated along the same lines of the Section of the FCA under which the regular application is made? On this note, is self defence a legitimate S21 motivation?
    2. Does the S21 licence only have a limited duration specific to the hunt/competition dates you are using as motivation or is it granted for the full 12 month period? If it is only for a specific period can this period be extended by the inclusion of various hunts that the firearm will be used on?

In short, I am keen on shooting for sport and hunting as much as I can over the next two months and it would be preferable to be able to carry for self defense purposes as there have been a few unnerving incidents recently around where I live.

Regards,
    Primo

User

Default Re: S21 Applications

From the Act:
    Temporary authorisation to possess firearm
    21. (1) The Registrar may issue a temporary authorisation to possess a firearm to any
    person, including a non-citizen—
    (a) for such period as the Registrar may determine; and
    (b) subject to such conditions as may be prescribed and imposed by the Registrar.
    (2) The Registrar may at any time withdraw an authorisation if any condition
    contemplated in subsection (1)(b) is not complied with.
    (3) The Office of the Central Firearms Register must keep a record containing such
    information as may be prescribed in respect of all authorisations issued in terms of this
    section.
    (4) The Registrar must submit an annual report to the Minister containing such
    information as may be prescribed in respect of all authorisations issued in terms of this
    section.
    (5) A firearm in respect of which an authorisation has been issued in terms of this
    section may be used only—
    (a) if the Registrar by endorsement on the authorisation permits such use; and
    (b) in accordance with such conditions as may be prescribed and imposed by the
    Registrar.
    (6) A firearm in respect of which an authorisation has been issued in terms of this
    section may be disposed of only with the written consent of the Registrar and subject to
    such conditions as he or she may impose.

From the Regulations:

Application for a temporary authorisation to possess a firearm
    23. (1) An applicant who applies for a temporary authorisation to possess a firearm as contemplated in section 21 of the Act must, in addition to the information required by regulation 13, submit -
    (a) a written motivation in support of the application, with specific reference to the steps which are intended in connection with the safe custody of the firearms and ammunition pertaining thereto;
    (b) a written declaration that the applicant has facilities available for the safe custody of the firearms and ammunition that complies with the SABS Standards as required by these regulations and the location of the safe custody facilities; and
    (c) a certified copy of any licence, permit or authorisation pertaining to the firearm, if applicable.
    (2) (a) Subject to the provisions of subparagraph (b) and (c) an application for a temporary authorisation must be lodged at least seven days before the intended date on which the possession of the firearm will take place.
    (b) In the case of a non-citizen applying for a temporary authorisation, the application must be lodged at least three months before the date on which the possession of the firearm by the applicant will take place.
    (c) The Registrar may, on good cause shown, exempt an applicant from complying with the period stipulated in subparagraphs (a) and (b).
    (3) A non-citizen who applies for a temporary authorisation to possess a firearm as contemplated in section 21 of the Act must, in addition to the relevant information required by regulation 13, submit -
    (a) a certified copy of an official identity document of the applicant or a certified copy of a valid temporary residence permit as the case may be, or that section of a valid passport issued to the applicant on which his or her identity particulars and the official issuing particulars of the passport are reflected;
    (b) an official certificate from the country of citizenship of the applicant confirming that the applicant has no criminal record: Provided that the country issues such certificate;
    (c) two written testimonials by South African citizens confirming that the applicant is a fit and proper person to possess a firearm;
    (d) a full written motivation undersigned by the applicant in support of the application; and
    (e) a full set of fingerprints of the applicant certified by a duly constituted official authority.
    Conditions applicable to a temporary authorisation to possess a firearm
    24. (1) The holder of a temporary authorisation to possess a firearm issued in terms of section 21 of the Act must keep the temporary authorisation wherever the firearm is located and must at the request of a police official produce the temporary authorisation and the firearm to a police official for inspection.
    (2) The temporary authorisation will only be valid for the firearm and period and specific use specified in the temporary authorisation.
    (3) The holder of the temporary authorisation may not possess more than 200 cartridges per calibre of firearm stipulated in the temporary authorisation unless, for the purpose of sports-shooting, the Registrar has on good cause shown, specified a larger quantity in the temporary authorisation.
    (4) The Registrar may require that a person to whom a temporary authorisation will be issued, must provide documentary proof of having successfully undergone the prescribed training and testing contemplated in section 9(q) and (r) of the Act prior to the issuing of the temporary authorisation or in the case of a hunter or sports person who is a non-citizen, an affidavit stating his or her training and experience in the handling of firearms.
    (5) The Registrar may determine and specify in the temporary authorisation a specific place where the firearm may be used.

User

With this in mind, I have a few queries relating to a possible S21 application. Can someone in the know please give me some clarity on the issue?

1. Does the S21 app need to be motivated along the same lines of the Section of the FCA under which the regular application is made? On this note, is self defence a legitimate S21 motivation? Absolutely, it is a legitimate purpose

2. Does the S21 licence only have a limited duration specific to the hunt/competition dates you are using as motivation or is it granted for the full 12 month period? If it is only for a specific period can this period be extended by the inclusion of various hunts that the firearm will be used on?
    You can request the specific time period (i.e. your hunt dates), or you can request the full 12 months (but it cannot exceed 12 months).

User

Thanks JHBBoy, that is exactly what I needed. I really appreciate it.

Also worth noting, your section 21 app can be sent / couriered directly to CFR permits division (phone them for an address 012 353 6208 - office hours only) and does not need to go to Provincial or your DFO.

This info was was provided to me by CFR permits division, after Provincial took 4 weeks to get my Section 21 to CFR.

User

Awesome, thanks. Did you do anything special in your motivation? When did you get yours approved and how long did it take?

I altered my license motivation by way of adding a chapter showing a need for the temporary, in that the license would not be approved in time (which it wasn’t).

Was approved last week. According to the Act, your sec21 application should be finalized within 7 days, in reality, it may take a bit longer.

I have applied for multiple temporaries over the years, and they usually get finalized
    within 2 weeks.

My current temp took about 7 weeks, but 4 of that was just spent sitting at Provincial, whom only go to Pretoria once a month.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ View Post
    Also worth noting, your section 21 app can be sent / couriered directly to CFR permits division (phone them for an address 012 353 6208 - office hours only) and does not need to go to Provincial or your DFO.

This info was was provided to me by CFR permits division, after Provincial took 4 weeks to get my Section 21 to CFR.
    Thanks so much for this Jay. I recently applied for a Sec 21 through my DFO.

The real joke here is that my Sec 16 was approved before the Sec 21 was even evaluated...sigh. So much for 7 days!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk