Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 223 REM BUSHMASTER QRC - good buy??

Quote Originally Posted by urabus View Post
    on the contrary....don't see many DD, BCMs at comps.
    Stag 3G is used by the previous and current SA no1 (IPSC/SAPSA Semi-Auto Open).
    2 in the top 5 (SAO) at the last SAPSA nationals. 1st and 5th (yours truly ).
    yes....both Stags are modified with upgraded parts, but then so are the rest....
    Stag's parent company CMT (google it) have been making oem AR upper/lower/parts for years....
    they supply/supplied big names like Colt, S&W, RRA....etc
    my point is they are solid basis for builds.

my advice re picking a comp AR.
    pick the barrel profile/length you want, everything else you can change/upgrade down the road.
    other than maybe the ADC 3Gun Match grade....most "race ready" models such as Stag 3G, Double-Star 3G...etc still need mods.
    Thanks Urabus.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

User

yes....both Stags are modified with upgraded parts, but then so are the rest....
    Stag's parent company CMT (google it) have been making oem AR upper/lower/parts for years....

pick the barrel profile/length you want, everything else you can change/upgrade down the road.
    other than maybe the ADC 3Gun Match grade....most "race ready" models such as Stag 3G, Double-Star 3G...etc still need mods.

This is interesting, never knew it ! Then again I dont compete at that level, and you know what they say about assumptions.

User

WE see all sorts of guns in IPSC and IDPA matches in Gauteng. There are definitely DD and all the others being used where I shoot.

The OP is looking for an AR under R20k.

The current number 1 in IPSC 0pen Div shoots a Double Star and the current number 1 in IPSC Std Div shoots a Double Star.

Thanks Khumba, yes as I said, I am very new with this and would like to stick to a budget. I will not be competing in any serious shoots for now, but would like to do the training and be efficient with handling and using the AR. I know there are many upgrades available, but for now I am just looking for a good solid base to start from. The only requirements for me would to have a shorter barrel, and from what I can see, the bushmaster and ruger seems to be 16", which is a bit long, but I might be wrong. Still, thanks so far for all the input Gents.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    WE see all sorts of guns in IPSC and IDPA matches in Gauteng. There are definitely DD and all the others being used where I shoot.

The OP is looking for an AR under R20k.

The current number 1 in IPSC 0pen Div shoots a Double Star and the current number 1 in IPSC Std Div shoots a Double Star.
    oops...stag in 2nd place....my mistake. my apologies to GJ B.

User

Why do you want a shorter barrel?

The best way to save money when getting into this game, is to buy right first time. Having to change your rifle after your first season is a major PITA, and you’ll lose a lot when trying to sell the first one. It’s a buyers market.

My advice, spend a little more. Get a rifle with an 18” barrel and a rifle length gas system.

Thanks for the advice Westley. The shorter barrel just looks like it will be easier to maneuver and if I want to later add a silencer, I will still have a compact AR for different uses. I do not have any knowledge yet on the gas systems, so I will have a look. Thx again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Why do you want a shorter barrel?

The best way to save money when getting into this game, is to buy right first time. Having to change your rifle after your first season is a major PITA, and you’ll lose a lot when trying to sell the first one. It’s a buyers market.

My advice, spend a little more. Get a rifle with an 18” barrel and a rifle length gas system.
    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

User

In my reading it sounded like the QRC has a different thread pitch compared to the standard 1/28 AR tpi. Is this correct?

I think Bushmaster QRC has a 1- 8 twist, will stabilise anything from a 55g to 68g with eaze

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    In my reading it sounded like the QRC has a different thread pitch compared to the standard 1/28 AR tpi. Is this correct?
    It is 1/2 X 28.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast