Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Back to basics rifle.

A while ago, after buying a Howa in 6.5 Creedmoor, I decided to sell my other 6.5 Howa. An enthusiastic buyer was found but after a while he seemed to lose interest so the Swede is still mine. A few days ago I mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 scope on it, loaded up some 140gr Hornady Interlock bullets and took it to the range. The rifle shot as well as ever and I decided to keep it as a loaner for clients who arrive without rifles.

This morning I went hunting and, as the 6.5 Swede was in the front of the safe, I took it. I fired three shots, killing two warthog, at 80m and 184m respectively, and a springbok at just over 300m. I think I'll keep it (as pre-64 advised), every hunter needs a plain, back to basics rifle, with a plain, back to basics scope.

User

Default Re: Back to basics rifle.

Well said, there it goes to show again that a 6 x scope is adequate for shots at springbok size game at 300m.

Agreed.... For me it's my 30.06 Howa. It's taken BWB at under 100m, Springbok in the 200m range and a Kudu at well over 300m. During this months Springbok hunt I instinctively reached for the .30 even though I had the .243 available. Three shots, 3 Springbok harvested....Nuff said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

As a matter of interest how did the interlocks perform?

User

T....you say the Swede just happened to be in the front of the safe when you went hunting this morning?

No man,you should know better,these things don't just happen.

It's the magic. The Swede magic.Omnipresent and unavoidable. This is the same magic that will render it impossible for you to sell the Swede.Shame on you for even considering such a dasterdly act.

User

Quote Originally Posted by .264 View Post
    As a matter of interest how did the interlocks perform?
    All three bullets exited, two broadside shoulder shots and one angling shot on a pig. With the exception of three 300gr .375 RN bullets I have never had a problem with Interlocks and I have used a lot of them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    With the exception of three 300gr .375 RN bullets I have never had a problem with Interlocks and I have used a lot of them.
    From someone that shoot a lot of animals, that is quite a recommendation.

User

Interesting how this Swede magic works... The guy I bought mine, called me yesterday, just to 'check in' and make sure I do not want to sell my l'il 6.5 back to him.... sadly the answer was no... one of us would have to buy a NEW 6.5... but it ain't going to be me...

Something beautiful about that simplistic approach..

Cup and Core Bullet
    Non tactical Superzoom scope
    Standard synthetic stock

Marvelous

User

Great combo that. I still want to get my hands on a 6.5 Creedmoor, only read good things about the caliber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast