Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Practical medium bore calibre.

Now, I understand fully that a 308 will work just fine for all game I can afford with decent shot placement. But to make things interesting, and reading Gert Odendaals DG course report, I was thinking what calibre would be a decent supplement to the 308, that could be used for medium to larger game, perhaps attending BASA shoots, that isn't too finicky to reload for. I was thinking 9.3x62 seems to tick those boxes. Opinions?

User

Default Re: Practical medium bore calibre.

I faced the same dilemma after hunting with a 7mm RM for many years, practical, flat shooting quite sufficient for my needs but too much reading and daydreaming led me down that same path that you seem to be heading. I read some more and chatted to old hands and sought advice and for me, after many pleasurable hours of "research", it settled on either a 375 H&H or a 416 Rigby. Both calibres steeped in history and the mystique of big game hunting and the African safari. Reasoning that I would probably only get one and because the right rifle crossed my path at the right time I ended up with a 416 Rigby.

I have used it for all of my hunting the last couple of years, the 7mm only goes to the range once in a while. The 416 has added different challenges to hunting and has been much more engaging to hunt with than the more technically capable 7.

My 2c's is scratch that itch, pick something that talks to you and get out there and shoot with it and hunt with it, you won't regret it.

User

So you want a medium bore to compete in a big bore event?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    So you want a medium bore to compete in a big bore event?
    For the occasional shoot, perhaps a medium bore may seem more practical. Cheaper to reload for, less chance of developing a flinch etc.

User

Well I will tell you the truth, but it ain’t pretty.

Most people don’t need a big bore, at all.

Yes that is about it, nothing more to add, the amount of times the average hunter hunts a buffalo or elephant is about what, less than 1 percent of their hunting experiences? For that you can borrow a big gun, end of story, most people with big bores just mess around with them because it holds some sort of symbolism.

If you want something bigger than a 308, just because you want, buy something you will at least use a lot, like a 9.3 or 375, but don’t try and make it about something else, because it won’t be.

User

Need is subjective. Just because 1 man can't see a need for it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. One could easily argue that none of us actually NEED to hunt, why not just go to the supermarket? That being said, I agree on the medium bore. The rule of thumb I keep coming by is pairing a .308 caliber (take your pick) with a .375 of your choice or a .338 with a 416... Honestly, I feel you NEED one of each... You know, a .375 is overkill on an x but a .308 is marginal. Therefore you NEED a .338... Works for me ;) :P

User

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Therefore you NEED a .338... Works for me ;) :P
    Finally

Someone that makes good sense tonight :)

I'll stir the pot nothing like a .375 for flat shooting from duiker to elephants. Unless you are backing up.

User

I will stir the pot even further , i seldom hunt without either a 375 or a 416 unless i am hunting Namibia or Kalahari .

i prefer a 300g bullet from my 416 than a 300g bullet from my 375 , the 416 (300g) travels flatter and is therefore my preference.

that being said i also prefer a 250g bullet in my 375 to a 300g bullet in my 375 .

it has very little to do with needs , it is just what i prefer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Well I will tell you the truth, but it ain’t pretty.

Most people don’t need a big bore, at all.

Yes that is about it, nothing more to add, the amount of times the average hunter hunts a buffalo or elephant is about what, less than 1 percent of their hunting experiences? For that you can borrow a big gun, end of story, most people with big bores just mess around with them because it holds some sort of symbolism.

If you want something bigger than a 308, just because you want, buy something you will at least use a lot, like a 9.3 or 375, but don’t try and make it about something else, because it won’t be.
    This hits the nail on the head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast