Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default 470 Sabatti / 375 H&H / 416 Rigby / 458 Lott

Good Morning Guys

Im currently in the market for a big bore rifle and I needs some assistance please. I currently hunt PG with my 30-06 and this rifle is perfect for my bushveld hunting needs. I would like to hunt a buffalo in the near future, and thus the need for the larger calibre. I would like to use this rifle for both my buffalo hunt as well as larger bushveld species such as large Eland etc.
    The calibres that Im considering is the 375 H&H Sauer 404 or Steyr Luxus, 416 Rigby (haven't found a specific rifle make or model yet), 458 (haven't found a specific rifle make or model yet) and I was offered a Sabatti 470 at R100k.

Questions:
    1. I believe that the 375H&h as a calibre is a beautiful thing as many people on this site love their 375's. Downside is that it's the absolute minimum for buffalo, but good shot placement is as always very important. Whats your thought on this calibre for these needs. I'm looking for a control feed and not a push feeds like Sauer 404 or Steyr Luxus. I can get the CZ 550, but Im looking for something a little bit more special than the CZ. Ammunition is the cheapest from the above mentioned options, seeing that I don't reload, or at least, not yet.
    2. 416 Rigby or 458 Lott, Win and what make and model would you advise? Heyn NE, is just too expensive for my budget. I believe this is probably the sweat spot of all the mentioned calibres. Your advise on make and model is needed
    3. I was offered a Sabatti 470 double barrel with extractors for R100k. It is a bit above my budget, but it could be an option if its an investment rifle. Is it an Investment rifle? These double barrel rifles does bring back the memories of the old africa and the hunting that was done in the previous century.

Your advise and expertise is much appreciated.

Banned

Default Re: 470 Sabatti / 375 H&H / 416 Rigby / 458 Lott

Double rifles are generally suitable for work at shorter ranges. I would not take a double rifle for general purpose hunting, even though only for larger species.

Accuracy is more important than caliber. A good shot with a 375 is worth far more than a marginal shot with a 470. Take the calibre you can comfortably shoot and practice with.

User

Take the 375.
    It is fine for Buffalo, and you will find yourself using it more than imagined
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

There is a 450 Rigby for sale over on Jaracal for R28k including dies/brass/bullets if it might be of interest.

http://www.jaracal.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63776

User

Also, I saw a Sauer 404 in 375 this weekend..... What a beaut!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

All be it I am not a hunter I know of many that do, and there are not many that recommend a 375 for Buff.

One that is often suggested is the 416 Rigby, the 458 is also a good choice.
    Another option if you can find is a 460 Weatherby

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    All be it I am not a hunter I know of many that do, and there are not many that recommend a 375 for Buff.

One that is often suggested is the 416 Rigby, the 458 is also a good choice.
    Another option if you can find is a 460 Weatherby
    I am currently on a farm hunting Buffalo with a client who is using a 375. I can assure you, that the 375 is very capable of killing a Buffalo
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    I am currently on a farm hunting Buffalo with a client who is using a 375. I can assure you, that the 375 is very capable of killing a Buffalo
    Just because you can, does not mean you should ;)
    Like I said, I am not a hunter, but many a person I know who has, has gone into the hunt with a rifle caliber that starts with a 4

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    So is a 303 and a 30-06...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkals 77 View Post
    Good Morning Guys

Im currently in the market for a big bore rifle and I needs some assistance please. I currently hunt PG with my 30-06 and this rifle is perfect for my bushveld hunting needs. I would like to hunt a buffalo in the near future, and thus the need for the larger calibre. I would like to use this rifle for both my buffalo hunt as well as larger bushveld species such as large Eland etc.
    The calibres that Im considering is the 375 H&H Sauer 404 or Steyr Luxus, 416 Rigby (haven't found a specific rifle make or model yet), 458 (haven't found a specific rifle make or model yet) and I was offered a Sabatti 470 at R100k.

Questions:
    1. I believe that the 375H&h as a calibre is a beautiful thing as many people on this site love their 375's. Downside is that it's the absolute minimum for buffalo, but good shot placement is as always very important. Whats your thought on this calibre for these needs. I'm looking for a control feed and not a push feeds like Sauer 404 or Steyr Luxus. I can get the CZ 550, but Im looking for something a little bit more special than the CZ. Ammunition is the cheapest from the above mentioned options, seeing that I don't reload, or at least, not yet.
    2. 416 Rigby or 458 Lott, Win and what make and model would you advise? Heyn NE, is just too expensive for my budget. I believe this is probably the sweat spot of all the mentioned calibres. Your advise on make and model is needed
    3. I was offered a Sabatti 470 double barrel with extractors for R100k. It is a bit above my budget, but it could be an option if its an investment rifle. Is it an Investment rifle? These double barrel rifles does bring back the memories of the old africa and the hunting that was done in the previous century.

Your advise and expertise is much appreciated.
    Don't discard the 416 Remington Magnum as a possibility in Winchester Model 70 Safari Express. An excellent rifle and calibre for your stated use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast