Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 470 Sabatti / 375 H&H / 416 Rigby / 458 Lott

One of each. You need one of each.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Take the 375.
    It is fine for Buffalo, and you will find yourself using it more than imagined
    This. MyLani is not basing this on opinion but rather experience.
    one must distinguish between a charge stopper that a PH carries as a backup to what you as a hunter carries. This was made clear to me by Dr Kev Robertson, when I was asking about the 600 9.3x62 buffalo kills( yes, let that figure sink in). He said for buffalo hunting he finds the 9.3 adequate , but for charge stopping buffalo and elephant he will carry something a fair bit larger.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    There is a 450 Rigby for sale over on Jaracal for R28k including dies/brass/bullets if it might be of interest.

http://www.jaracal.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63776
    This is a great deal - assuming the OP can handle the recoil. It's a lot of gun! Reloading is is pretty much a requirement as factory ammo, when you can find it, will quickly bankrupt you.

User

You are not a PH, but will be hunting buffalo .???

A .375 H&H /300 North Fork soft or 380 grain Dzombo solid combination is all you need to kill a buffalo with good shot placement...

You can download for a duiker as well..this combination will serve you well...plains game and dangerous game ....

On the end it is no use you have all this money to buy a large bore caliber rifle and you can not shoot it properly...use the rest of the R100 000 to hunt with..

User

Thank you guys. Each input is much appreciated. Each and every one has a valid point and I do take it all into consideration.

I've removed the Sauer & the Steyr from my options list because they are not control feeds. The Sabatti 470 is also not an option as previously mentioned in the comments above.

I've narrowed it down to two options.
    Option 1
    Winchester Mod70 Safari Express in 375H&H caliber. Recoil is manageable and I believe it will do the job as described in my first post.

Option 2
    Possibly the biggest disadvantage with the 375 is how the cartridge is not well suited to stopping a charge of a wounded buffalo. This is why I believe the 458 Lott is also a good option. I'm not sure if its a good calibre for large PG and some input would be appreciated here.
    The gun in question is a Heym Big Game Express in 458 Lott. Still need to fire a 458 Lott as I have no actual experience with this calibre. Will see what I can do to get my hand on this caliber and fire a few rounds.
    Heym's are expensive, and I was told (by the salesman) that this would be a good investment rifle. My experience is that rifles are not good investments, but I stand corrected. Will this rifle really increase in value more than what other makes of rifles would, if you take inflation and supply and demand of this rifle in the second hand market in consideration?

Looking forward to reading your replies.

Consider that 450 Rigby currently for sale.

It has dies and brass to go with it.

Unless you do not reload, in which case stick to what you can get factory ammo for.

User

Client has his Buffalo.
    40m shot on the shoulder with a 300gr Accubond. Bull made 30m. Norma solid as an Insurance shot.

BTW, the 450 Rigby is RudiB's rifle.
    The action is as smooth as they come, and an excellent backup rifle
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkals 77 View Post
    Thank you guys. Each input is much appreciated. Each and every one has a valid point and I do take it all into consideration.

I've removed the Sauer & the Steyr from my options list because they are not control feeds. The Sabatti 470 is also not an option as previously mentioned in the comments above.

I've narrowed it down to two options.
    Option 1
    Winchester Mod70 Safari Express in 375H&H caliber. Recoil is manageable and I believe it will do the job as described in my first post.

Option 2
    Possibly the biggest disadvantage with the 375 is how the cartridge is not well suited to stopping a charge of a wounded buffalo. This is why I believe the 458 Lott is also a good option. I'm not sure if its a good calibre for large PG and some input would be appreciated here.
    The gun in question is a Heym Big Game Express in 458 Lott. Still need to fire a 458 Lott as I have no actual experience with this calibre. Will see what I can do to get my hand on this caliber and fire a few rounds.
    Heym's are expensive, and I was told (by the salesman) that this would be a good investment rifle. My experience is that rifles are not good investments, but I stand corrected. Will this rifle really increase in value more than what other makes of rifles would, if you take inflation and supply and demand of this rifle in the second hand market in consideration?

Looking forward to reading your replies.
    The last person you need to ask about the value of a rifle is a sales person. There is nothing special about the .458 Lott , the only increased in rifle value is a real collector`s item, and that is only between collectors...a new rifle has a price tag...a second hand rifle`s cost is determined by what a buyer wants to pay for the rifle to own it. If the .30-06 caliber rifle is your larges bore rifle I am not convinced the .458 Lott is the route to take. The .375 H&H still is the best contender in your race to acquire a next rifle...you do not need a charge stopper, the PH has the charge stopper, you will never be able to hunt buffalo on your own...there always will be a PH guiding you. The word "practical " comes to mind when in doubt what rifle or caliber to buy...

Banned

The 458 Lott is said to kick like a mule. The reason is that one has to reload our local powders to 12% over maximum to achieve advertised overseas muzzle velocities.

User

Thank you Gert. That’s exactly the advise that I was looking for, and what I needed to hear. I will be purchasing the 375H&H Mod 70 this week. Thank you for the advise. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast