User

Default It's New Gear Time! Help?

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the long range game and I need some advice from some of you guys with a bit of experience.

I've just pulled the trigger on a 308 win chambered Howa and I need a hand to help deciding what optics to get. My build considerations are primarily that I must be able to hunt with it from field positions, so F-TR stocks are out the question but I do want a long range tactical scope(because dialing and ringing gongs is loads of fun) but I want something that will do the job for hunting.

Realistically my hunting is going to be normal South African plains game in the bushveld and karoo so I envisage ranges from 20 to 300m or so along with some damage causing animal control and gong ringing as far as my skills will allow(currently 800m or so) which is why I have decided on a 3-15x magnification as my ideal.

I've done some shopping around and I've narrowed it down to:
    Lynx LX 3 3-15x50 Tactical(+-R12000),
    Rudolph T1 6-24x50(+-R16000),
    Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x56(+-R17000)
    Burris XTR II 3-15x50(+-R12500) and,
    Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x44 or 5-25x50(+-R17500)

So far the Burris is far and away the cheapest(aside from the Lynx) and comes with good reviews, especially regarding it's toughness and reliability however I think some of the others(Vortex and Athlon have it beaten on glass). It also ticks boxes for FFP reticle, Forever Warrantee, ideal magnification, massive adjusment range and beefy construction. I have two concerns though,
    1. Can you get 34mm QR rings for Picantinny rails that are reliable at a decent price?
    2. Does the Burris Forever Warrantee work to the US standard in SA?

The Lynx as mentioned is in the same ballpark as the Burris, however I am unsure how it stacks up? What are the turrets like? Are the adjustments repeatable? How does the glass hold up to competitors? I've tried for reviews online from people in the know and I've come up empty handed - can anyone enlighten me?

Does anyone know if the Vortex PST Gen 2 early production issues have been sorted out? The early reviews seem to have picked up alot of issues with reliability but finding in depth reviews of later batches is tough. However the glass is excellent by all accounts, as are the turrets with good, positive clicks, repeatable and accurate tracking. The 30mm tube also offers good options for QR rings.

How does the Athlon stack up to the Burris and Vortex? Specifically is it well supported by the agents? Otherwise it seems to get good reviews on the other side of the pond.

The Rudolph is the only one of the lot I've been able to get some trigger time behind and I was happy with it. The glass could be better though. The main downsides are that the mag is too high on the low end and no zero stops on the turret.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Burris and next the Vortex, however I'm unsure if I'm either missing something(for all I know, the Lynx could be a Nightforce slayer) or I've got it wrong in some way(incorrect assumptions, etc) - any suggestions?

Regards,
    Primo.

User

Default Re: It's New Gear Time! Help?

Any reason you went with .308 Win in particular?

User

The usual reasons, I suppose. I have all the reloading kit for it, it's bloody versatile, it has a good barrel life, ammo is cheap and inside of 300m it will do the job on anything I am likely to hunt. Outside of 300m it will do what I want it to. Sure, it might be harder to shoot between 500m and 1000m due to lower velocity and BC than say a 7mm Rem Mag but I figure that if I'm going to take it(me) to it's(my) limit, regardless of the distance, then it doesn't matter where that limit is but rather that I'm learning and improving.

Once I've mastered the basics, I might go for a better long range calibre if I get bitten by the competition bug and I can convert the 308 to a bushveld only gun, but I also might just stick with the jack of all trades.

User

I'm also looking for a scope along the same lines and from what I've seen...

I like everything about the Lynx LX3 3-15 except one thing, the clicks on the turret I found (while handing in the shop) to be very mushy compared to other scopes I've tried. Whether that is a major issue in the field I don't know. Oh an in these parts, the LX3 can be had for R9500.

I'm really keen to handle the PS Gen 2 (I'm leaning towards the 3-15 as well) and I've read many good things about the Athlon line BUT it's a new company, I'm a little nervous about spending that kind of cash and in 2 or 5 years they're no longer around, yes it could happen to Vortex or another big brand but the chances are a lot lower of that happening.
    Burris would boil down to their customer service in SA which I see you're asking about too. I can't comment on that.

I have not been impressed with a single Rudolph scope I've looked at so that's out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Any reason you went with .308 Win in particular?
    Because it has the word Win in it.

I have been shooting my 308 Remington VSSF. Since 1998. And its boringly accurate to shoot. Shot a kudu at +-340 2 years back with 150 Sako Super Hammerhead loaded with S335 42.5gr. Hit on side. Went through rib, Lung, Heart, other lung and exited other side. How much more can you ask for.

Get the Lynx LX3. Best you van get in my opinion in optics.

I currently have a 5-30x56 on. Its crystal clear. The LX3 range is very very good.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Primo661 View Post
    The usual reasons, I suppose. I have all the reloading kit for it, it's bloody versatile, it has a good barrel life, ammo is cheap and inside of 300m it will do the job on anything I am likely to hunt. Outside of 300m it will do what I want it to. Sure, it might be harder to shoot between 500m and 1000m due to lower velocity and BC than say a 7mm Rem Mag but I figure that if I'm going to take it(me) to it's(my) limit, regardless of the distance, then it doesn't matter where that limit is but rather that I'm learning and improving.

Once I've mastered the basics, I might go for a better long range calibre if I get bitten by the competition bug and I can convert the 308 to a bushveld only gun, but I also might just stick with the jack of all trades.
    That's a good enough reason. As long as you understand the limits of the caliber and you're ready to work around them, you'll be fine... :P

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    I'm also looking for a scope along the same lines and from what I've seen...

I like everything about the Lynx LX3 3-15 except one thing, the clicks on the turret I found (while handing in the shop) to be very mushy compared to other scopes I've tried. Whether that is a major issue in the field I don't know. Oh an in these parts, the LX3 can be had for R9500.

I'm really keen to handle the PS Gen 2 (I'm leaning towards the 3-15 as well) and I've read many good things about the Athlon line BUT it's a new company, I'm a little nervous about spending that kind of cash and in 2 or 5 years they're no longer around, yes it could happen to Vortex or another big brand but the chances are a lot lower of that happening.
    Burris would boil down to their customer service in SA which I see you're asking about too. I can't comment on that.

I have not been impressed with a single Rudolph scope I've looked at so that's out for me.
    Ok two things, I handled a 2.5-15x50 LX3 today and its turrets we're light years ahead of the one I handled previously. I don't know why but it really was much better. So much so that I'm seriously considering purchasing that exact scope. Also their prices have jumped a little, R9500 was the shops July special which is now over.

User

Thanks for the help guys. Due to the availability of stock, a bloody good price and recommendations from people who know more than me, I went with the PST Gen 2 5-25x50 FFP. Once CFR sorts their lives out, I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think of it.

User

Thanks for the help guys. Due to the availability of stock, a bloody good price and recommendations from people who know more than me, I went with the PST Gen 2 5-25x50 FFP. Once CFR sorts their lives out, I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think of it.

What did you end up paying?

User

congrats! awesome scope...picked up one 2 weeks ago. enjoy!!