Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: HOWA .308 win HELP

This is the example I gave above - on the left (top), PMP 143 gr FMJBT, on the right (bottom) the Hornady 165gr SST's. Shot on the same day, same conditions, same technique, same shooter:

User

My Howa 308 dikloop also didn't like the PMP 168gr or 150gr factory ammo (2-3 inch groups), 180gr was just acceptable for hunting at slightly more than an inch.

As already suggested, I would check for something loose starting with the scope, then try different factory ammo after you have made sure nothing is loose.

User

I had the same situation with mine.

Did the break in with 155gr PMP Brown box. Started off with about 1.5-2" groups, which just got progressively worse. Turned out that the scope rings were loose. Tightened them, and groups improved. Did load development with 180gr SST, and it got progressively worse with that too.
    Obviously I was getting really worried as well. This time the base was loose, so as you say, you know to check these things as well...

I now have a pet load that does 1.5" at 200m

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

User

Initially my Howa .308 was shooting bout as straight as a circle,... after much effort it came down to faulty scope as well as a wonky base. Installed a new scope and base and now it groups like a dream with 165gr Hornady Interlocks

User

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan_van_wyk View Post
    Hi all.
    I bought a new HOWA .308 win.
    So I took it to the range to zero the scope. I was shooting 168gr pmp at a 100m. I followed the propper break in procedure and doing everything too the book. However, after the break in, and allowing the barrel to cool down, I was still shooting a 6" group at 100m. I havent checked everything yet, to make sure the stock is tight and all the other things, however, this is a WAY to wide grouping. I am still going to bed it and do a load study. However, it should shoot no more than a 2 moa standard off the shelf, am I right?
    Has anyone else had anything like this?
    If so, what was it?
    There are lots of different views on what exactly constitutes "proper break in procedure", and I have seen some really dumb procedures described, that will do nothing positive to your rifle. A detailed explanation may go a long way in clarifying that statement.

The specific stock on your rifle may make a huge difference. Generally, the Hogue stocks require very little bedding, but some attention to the barrel clearance is needed.

Ammo can make a huge difference, expecially on the models with thinner barrels. Try out a few other makes and bullet weights too.

Check out your scope and mounts. Some bases need a shim at the rear action ring to align properly. Make sure all screws are tight, even the ones you can't reach.

Even with all these things checked, I still manage to shoot poorly some days...

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Even with all these things checked, I still manage to shoot poorly some days...
    And figuring out if it’s you or the gun takes the most experience.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gbyleveldt View Post
    And figuring out if it’s you or the gun takes the most experience.
    Admitting that it can easily be you is one of the biggest accomplishments any shooter can ever make, in any shooting style or discipline.

Banned

My howa does 2" groups with pmp sub 1" with handloads if i do my part. Try ask another shooter to shoot a group and compare results? if they are similar start fault finding. Who mounted the scope for you ?

User

My friend's brand new howa 308 with hogue stock and standard barrel would NOT group under 2" with factory ammo... he tried S&B, PMP Brown and ProAmm, even some winchester and sako rounds... we checked everything, mounts, rings, and even considered that the scope might have an issue...

We then decided to develop a load. after a load development cylce or 2, and some Quickload predictions, he now shoots 4 shot cloverleafs at 100m with 180gr Nosler RDF and 39gr of S335 using Norma cases...

User

Hi all

I recently purchased a Howa .308

Any recoomendations as far as ammo is concerned. What are the recommendations to grain and Factory supply etc.

Does anyone reload as well and if so what are the recomendations on projectiles and powder etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast