Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What .22lr for a 7 year old

Cape Hunt has every Friday 22lr training and shoots for Kids of various ages.
    You only pay for ammo. They are then instructed to shoot prone, Sitting and Standing.
    Regrettably only in Cape area which I know off.

I would not personally go Semi Rifle for kids.
    But this is my personal feelings on it.

User

Have to agree on the manual action for kids. Makes them forget about what really matters in terms of breathing, trigger control etc.

Also nothing wrong with a decent pellet gun and some cans

I would think that there is a certain part of the parents living through their child by buying them a gun. A good excuse to get another one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    I would think that there is a certain part of the parents living through their child by buying them a gun. A good excuse to get another one :-)
    Haha this is me to a "T"! Bought Brno .22LR Mod 5 for the kids when they get a little older but using it in the meantime as such fun to shoot!

User

Oh and bolt gun uses less ammo is a myth... my swambo-lite will work through 150 rounds (3 bricks) quickly at the range... because dad pays for it

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Oh and bolt gun uses less ammo is a myth... my swambo-lite will work through 150 rounds (3 bricks) quickly at the range... because dad pays for it
    A 22LR brick is traditionally 500 rounds!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeza View Post
    I started with a Norinco .22 and was good fun with the open sights but a Brno .22 is also very light and fairly compact my 5-year-old daughter enjoys the Brno mod 1.
    I'll second the Brno no.1. My 10 year old son is particularly small for his age - wears clothes meant for 8 year olds - and he way prefers the no.1 to my other .22's and to the Brno no.2's (incl 452's etc) that he has tried. Remember also that the scope makes quite a difference to the overall feel of the rifle & fitting a compact, lightweight 2-7x32 scope on low mounts will make the gun much more manageable than if it was fitted with full size 3-12x44 with tactical turrets, high scope mounts & a sunshade.

It's also worth remembering how quickly kids grow up. The Chipmunk/Rascal might fit the kid(s) very well now, but after waiting 6 months for the licence you might only get 18 months use out of it before they have grown enough to move on to the next one. Brno no.1 is slightly smaller, lighter & more compact than the no.2 (enough to make a difference to the kids anyway) but is still very useable by an adult.

User

Thanks all, well noted.

Fortunately my dad has a brno not sure which model but its like 25 years old which my son is "using" now, the stock is way too long him and my dad still uses the rifle upto date.

The other side of the coin is I also have a 4 year old boy who is keen on the guns, so the smaller rifle will fill the gap perfectly for the next 4-6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Imo_P07 View Post
    Thanks all, well noted.

Fortunately my dad has a brno not sure which model but its like 25 years old which my son is "using" now, the stock is way too long him and my dad still uses the rifle upto date.

The other side of the coin is I also have a 4 year old boy who is keen on the guns, so the smaller rifle will fill the gap perfectly for the next 4-6 years.
    My oldest is 8, youngest just a year old. And there's another two in between. The rascal will hopefully see some good use till the license expires. The license was just issued a month ago.

I started with an old BSA single shot bolt action at a very young age. It taught me the basics.
    Many a rabbit, Guinea fowl and dassie was cooked and eaten.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2