Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Newbie suppressor questions

Hi All,

I recently bought a suppressor (numenor) for my new 10" Norinco CQ-A, this is my first time shooting anything with a suppressor attached, and noticed that it gets extremely hot after 5 or 6 quick successive shots.
    i searched but could not really get a short answer on the forum.

My question is how hot is normal and how hot is to hot ?,
    i get that the amount of suppression that the suppressor is giving me will def be building a lot of heat, as it is working much better than expected, but what do you guys put your suppressors through? few rounds, 1 mag(30 rounds), 5 mags or what ?

Im not looking for exact specifics, just something like general usage guidelines.
    Last edited by Skilla; 07-08-2018 at 11:59. Reason: grammar

Default Re: Newbie suppressor questions

How hot is normal? Hot AF.

I have destroyed a can - not a Numenor one - in a mag, despite me taking pains to explain to the manufacturer what my application was.

I have had a few Numenor cans on my LM6. Nico kept making me give back the old ones and giving me new ones.

The last one that was on the gun is still good. I shot the crap out of it. Including in a pretty intensive 2 day carbine class.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

They do get hot. As remember alot of gasses are still burning and slowed down in it.
    if you go on Youtube there is a nice post in slow motion of how they work.

I fitted a Ase Utra SL5 on my 308 bolt. So obviously not shooting Semi with it.
    But the ASE are apparently made to be used on Full auto rifles and handle the heat.

User

To add to the above, also newbie related.
    Does sub-sonic ammo have an impact on the suppressor as well? In terms of wear and heat?
    I understand sub-sonic ammo is supposed to be much quieter , esp going through a can.
    Just wondering on how it affects the suppressor vs normal ammo

User

5,56 is optimal out of 16-20" barrels, so out of a 10" a lot of powder is still burning in the can

Subsonic ammo would be gentler than regular ammo on the can

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    To add to the above, also newbie related.
    Does sub-sonic ammo have an impact on the suppressor as well? In terms of wear and heat?
    I understand sub-sonic ammo is supposed to be much quieter , esp going through a can.
    Just wondering on how it affects the suppressor vs normal ammo
    Sub sonic is not really that much quieter through the can. It does however not break the sound barrier when the bullet exits the can therefore you do t get that loud crack.

There is also less powder in the case therefore less to burn therefore less gas etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I run a Numenor Black Fyre suppressor on my 10.5” 5.56 carbine, definitely keeps things at the gun quieter and it is normal to get too hot to touch in a few rounds when fired rapidly.
    The faster you shoot, the quicker it heats up, the quicker for potential damage BUT, Nico specifically stated when I bought it that he’d replace it if I damaged it due to shooting - with that peace of mind you can shoot as you want.

The next thing to consider is how hot you are prepared to let the barrel get, hotter barrels wear quicker too and that is an item you can’t walk in, purchase and walk out so worrying about a replaceable can us irrelevant.

All that being said, the Carbine is made for fighting and fighting implies lots of possible sustained firing but with periods of inactivity between shooting for the barrel to cool down. Use it within reason (firing 5 mags in quick succession with the can on is not reasonable in my opinion) and you’ll not have any issues.

I run a Numenor Black Fyre suppressor on my 10.5” 5.56 carbine, definitely keeps things at the gun quieter and it is normal to get too hot to touch in a few rounds when fired rapidly.
    The faster you shoot, the quicker it heats up, the quicker for potential damage BUT, Nico specifically stated when I bought it that he’d replace it if I damaged it due to shooting - with that peace of mind you can shoot as you want.

The next thing to consider is how hot you are prepared to let the barrel get, hotter barrels wear quicker too and that is an item you can’t walk in, purchase and walk out so worrying about a replaceable can us irrelevant.

All that being said, the Carbine is made for fighting and fighting implies lots of possible sustained firing but with periods of inactivity between shooting for the barrel to cool down. Use it within reason (firing 5 mags in quick succession with the can on is not reasonable in my opinion) and you’ll not have any issues.

I’m speaking from an American perspective, but most suppressors here are incredibly tough and heat should not bother them at all. Example: I shoot a lot of corrosive Sov surplus 5.45 through one of my Silencerco Saker suppressors and on the advice of the manufacturer, I simply rinse it out with water to remove the corrosive salts and then dry in the oven at 350F for about twenty-thirty minutes. Your suppressor should be able to handle hard use, just be careful about burning yourself with it during said use.

User

LL The mods here are also shit , so please pop into our introduction section and say hi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast