User

Default which compitancy

Hi I am a farmer in kzn and with rising crime rates and stock losses to vermin ect. in the area ive decided its time to get a gun or 2 i quite like the ruger 10/22 but also bolt action rifles like a remington 700 in 308 for bigger problems. Am i correct in assuming these are seperate compitancys self loading rifle for the 10/22 and manual rifle for the bolt action.

User

Default Re: which compitancy

Correct

Banned

Yes you are correct

User

If you search around here on some of the prior questions asked on competencies, you will note that in most cases, the recommendation is to do all 5 units and have it over with. Inevitably you will want to expand your horizons with more firearms, so it is easier and usually cheaper if you do have all done, instead of having to first go for the training, then the competency application with the police, then only on to licensing of the firearm.

User

Minerva10210 yes im aware of that unfortunately I am verry short on cash at the moment with all of my stock having being stolen last week its been a verry hard week I am not even sure if ill be able to continue farming at this point

User

Sorry about your losses, wish you all the best

User

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva10210 View Post
    If you search around here on some of the prior questions asked on competencies, you will note that in most cases, the recommendation is to do all 5 units and have it over with. Inevitably you will want to expand your horizons with more firearms, so it is easier and usually cheaper if you do have all done, instead of having to first go for the training, then the competency application with the police, then only on to licensing of the firearm.
    +1 for this.

I did my competency for all categories except self-loading rifle a few years ago. I'm also looking for a Semi-Auto .22 now and had to do the whole training thing again. It ended up costing me another R1,500 instead of an additional R300 if I did it with the rest earlier. And I'm not even talking about the additional time having to wait for the new competency.