User

Default navy colt cap and ball legalitys

hi i am curently applying and doing my firearm compitancy but am told it will take around 6 months. my father has my great grandfathers navy colt and im told this is an antique and dosent need to be licenced is this still true if so could i use this for around the farm in the mean time before i wait for my modern wepon compitancy to come through also do i need any special licence for the caps/bp and how easy/hard is that to get?

User

Default Re: navy colt cap and ball legalitys

At a minimum you need Muzzle loader competency and Black Powder permit.

User

thanks and is that the same procedure as the other compitancys?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mupwi View Post
    Yes, unfortunately

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

With the added complication that proficiency training for it is not as readily available

User

TO my Knowledge Percussion cap and ball revolvers with a cylinder need to be licenced. It is only single shot muzzle loading firearms that do not need a licence, and yes you need muzzle loader competency and black powder permit.

User

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    TO my Knowledge Percussion cap and ball revolvers with a cylinder need to be licenced. It is only single shot muzzle loading firearms that do not need a licence, and yes you need muzzle loader competency and black powder permit.
    when my father turned in his other firearms he inquired about having this one deactivated as it was a family heirloom so still wanted to keep it and they told him it didnt need any licence im not sure if that changed since i do remember there being some isue about powder/caps but as just a wall hanger that wasent needed

User

when my father turned in his other firearms he inquired about having this one deactivated as it was a family heirloom so still wanted to keep it and they told him it didnt need any licence im not sure if that changed since i do remember there being some isue about powder/caps but as just a wall hanger that wasent needed
    There was an amendment to the act where it was changed that if a black powder firearm can be loaded with more than two shots, it needs a licence this was around 2011-2012 if I remember. The thing is as far as I understand is that CFR does not have the facility or the paperwork for people to be able to licence these firearms. I maybe wrong but this is my understanding.

User

The Firearms Control Amendment Act (2006) defines muzzle loading firearms as limited to firing one shot per barrel before being reloaded with ball, wad, powder etc.

Unfortunately this means that cap and ball revolvers now need to be licensed, and you will need to do black powder competency as well (otherwise you can’t buy or possess the powder).

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/30210_gon775.pdf Item (i)