Thread: 6.5 Grendel

User

Default 6.5 Grendel

Hi all

Is there anyone out there that is using a 6.5 Grendel?

A Howa mini-action in this chambering with a standard or lightweight barrel seems to fit the bill nicely for my 10 year old son who is small for his age, and at the time fill a (non-existant? ;-) ) niche for a light rifle in my own battery. My rifles currently consist of a .308, 7x64, 22 Hornet and a .243. I'm going to sell the .243 irrespective of whether I get something new or not.

I've seen a few barrelled actions and complete rifles advertised at good prices & brass is available (Lapua), if a little expensive. As we all know 6.5 bullets are freely available. Seems easy to reload for. I've spoken to a few gunshops and the response has varied from some that don't seem to have ever heard of the cartridge & others that say they sell "quite a few".

Looking for thoughts, opinions & alternative suggestions.

User

Default Re: 6.5 Grendel

There was an article about the 6.5 Grendel in the SA Hunters magazine a few months ago.

User

I bought one last week as a range rifle. My wife has also been asking more and more that she wants to hunt with us. She normally shoots my 7x57, but this rifle will be much nicer for her to handle in the bush.

I was on the range when Koos Barnard was testing loads in his rifle, presumably for the article. I haven’t read it yet, but every load I saw him shoot that day, irespective of bullet or powder charge, grouped well under an inch at a 100m.

I’m fascinated by the chambering.

DSG is Pretoria had them on special at R6995.00 in a synthetic stock.

Generally I find people trying to persuade me to rather go for a 6.5 Creedmoor. Different game altogether and they don’t know anything about the cartridge or the rifle’s application.

Playing around on the ballistic app, I did notice that the bullet remains supersonic almost to the same distance that a .308 shooting 155gr does from a 20” barrel, so shooting gongs out to 800m is on the cards.

I originally thought I would convert 7.62x39 brass for it, but seeing what people are expecting to get for secondhand AK brass, and the PITA of then converting and fireforming, I think I’m just going to buy 6.5 Grendel brass, Lapua or Norma. From American forums, it seems that Grendel brass has a bigger case capacity conpared to converted brass, and as such one can shoot an improved load. Grendel brass also lasts signifcantly longer.

Most info on the web relates to AR chambering in this calibre, but I think it is going to be a neat little rifle!

Cheers,
    Wesley

User

You should find them on special at a few places as the importers are running a very good deal on them at the moment (according to a friend who's a dealer as well as another dealer I spoke to).

Banned

IIRC, Wildman or Nwk were running a bloody good deal on them. I think R5999

User

As you guys have observed, prices are exceptionally good at several outlets.

I get a feeling it's kind of like a scaled down .308. Easy to load, not fussy about powders & bullets; just gets on and does the job.