Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Ruger Mini-14 Facts, History, and Information.

Interesting gun from a cuteness and general ranch rifle type perspective, as in lever gun type. In terms of reliability and parts availability it is long past its sell by date.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Interesting gun from a cuteness and general ranch rifle type perspective, as in lever gun type. In terms of reliability and parts availability it is long past its sell by date.
    While I agree with you that parts (or perhaps the appropriate term would be accessories) availability is an issue, as well as the high prices associated with them, I'd question your statement on the reliability aspect. In my experience they seem to be very reliable and more tolerant of things like dust, lack of cleaning, variances in ammo than the obvious alternative being the AR15 pattern MSRs. I attribute this to the design, that keeps hot gas and powder residue away from bolt area far better than the standard AR15 design. Looser tolerances probably also help.

This is also the impression I gained from reading up other user's experiences about 5 years ago, before I bought mine.

Maybe I'm suffering from confirmation bias but I still reckon they're very reliable. For me their questionable accuracy, particularly in the older models would be a far bigger issue than reliability.

Over the years I have seen a fair few jam on the range. More so than other guns. Granted this may be largely attributable to magazine issues/availability in SA. The AR, pretty much a direct competitor in the US has evolved in reliability due to improved magazines, heavier buffers and Stronger extractor springs. We also now know that with minimal easily available parts replacement the AR will run and run.Dirty and smelly admittedly. There is no data even anecdotal to suggest that the mini 14 will even come close.I will admit though that the 14 has a certain allure.

Brilliant post. Thx for sharing......

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Over the years I have seen a fair few jam on the range. More so than other guns. Granted this may be largely attributable to magazine issues/availability in SA. The AR, pretty much a direct competitor in the US has evolved in reliability due to improved magazines, heavier buffers and Stronger extractor springs. We also now know that with minimal easily available parts replacement the AR will run and run.Dirty and smelly admittedly. There is no data even anecdotal to suggest that the mini 14 will even come close.I will admit though that the 14 has a certain allure.
    I have had my mini for many years and in my experience when shooting with other mini owners the issue was largely ammo ( reloads) or tired magazines. I am happy with mine and I trust it to be carried.

( spares and mags are available, agreed not like ordering a burger but not impossible )
    Last edited by KK20; 14-08-2018 at 16:05.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

FL State GOA Director - Join GOA
    New Wave Firearms

JBT , I do not want to hijack your thread. It is extremely interesting as I do have a fondness for the mini.
    I have this http://www.jardinc.com/ruger-mini-14/
    Are you familiar with this kit?
    I haven't installed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    JBT , I do not want to hijack your thread. It is extremely interesting as I do have a fondness for the mini.
    I have this http://www.jardinc.com/ruger-mini-14/
    Are you familiar with this kit?
    I haven't installed it yet.
    Heard about them but never played with one. And this isn't a hijack. It is a discussion on Minis
    New Wave Firearms

Walmart is have a clearance sale. Just picked up a new production Ranch Rifle on the cheap.

New Wave Firearms

Awesome.
    The one I have was ex CIA stuff distributed in Botswana undercover as we had the arms embargo.
    The serial numbers are ground off and a new one issued for us here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast