Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Which Silencer to buy?

Hi all.
    I have been reading through most of the threads in search of the right silencer for my 30-06 Steyr Mannlicher clii.

First question :
    Imported vs Local, do they compare and if so is it worth it to pay the extra buck.

Im looking for that one silencer that I cant find. A small light weight one with the same ability to reduce sound and recoil like the bigger ones or something close to the bigger ones. I want to try and keep a classic look and I know by adding a silencer isn’t the the the right option then.

And just for curiosity, can you add which silencer you use and prefer for your purposes.

There probably isn’t a perfect answer, but thanks in advanced .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Which Silencer to buy?

Apart from the expense, the biggest difference when comparing the figures from the local options vs imported, is the weight vs performance. Figures from ASE and A tec are impressive considering the weight. Further more, I have seen tests where the claimed figures are actually attainable when used. I use a Warrior , locally made with great service. But if I upgrade or of I had to do it again I'd seriously consider something like the Ase SL5 or A Tec Hertz . Gone are the days where you need a 500gr can for decent performance. The flip side is most of us don't hunt weekly for us to justify the higher costs.

User

If you're interested, I've got an Ase Utra SL8i-BL in the For Sale section of this forum.

User

I hunted recently with a friend who had steyr pro hunter in 308 with a warrior silencer fitted. I found it to be really good and judging from there website they are reasonably priced

You want the best that can even be used on full auto military firearms. And does not look like ridiculous huge piece of metal on end of rifle.

You close your eyes and get an ASE Utra Sl5.

User

First prize, Ase Utra. On a budget and prepared to settle for local, Sus-tac.

Like my warrior on the varmint gun. Would never mount it on a gun I have to carry beyond the bakkie.

A-tec, Truly fine silencers. I would not fit anything else on my rifles. The millihertz is a sleek profile, just under 40mm dia. and only 310g, for hunting purpose this is my choice especially on smaller diameter barrels. The Hertz models 87, 119, 150 are all just under 50mm dia. with different lenght, weight and sound reduction, but you can pick and choose what will suite you. Prices on them really good as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Would never mount it on a gun I have to carry beyond the bakkie.
    Sound advice.

If you walk and stalk game the whole day, then a silencer is not for you. It makes the rifle heavy and when you are tired from climbing a mountain like a goat and if you don't have a dead rest you will be fighting the rifle to keep it on target while the weight of the silencer pulls your muzzle down.

If you are sitting waiting for game, on a vehicle or at the bench on a range, then a silencer is for you.

That said. If i wanted a silencer and i like to support local, then Sus-Tac would be it. Check their Youtube tests. Magnum and Gun Africa magazine did comprehensive tests if i recall.

User

Hi Guys, I use the Hunt Buddy on my 308 and I am really chuffed. It is small enough for getting in and out of a vehicle, fits into my rifle bag, is not in the way in the bush crawling around in the thickets, very well made, reduces recoil well enough, does not impede the rifle balance too much and is reasonably priced. You will also get good service from a South African!

Honest review without any stake in their bussiness

Regards
    Llen

User

I have a Silent Hunter on my 6.5x55 and a Sus-Tac on my 338wm. The silent Hunter is of steel construction, VERY tough, but heavy for its size. It should last a lifetime. it breaks recoil VERY good, but its noise suppression is only so/so. Shot in the open at blesbuck, the snap of the shot was not too distracting, and the herd only ran a few yards, and stopped again. we could literally take a couple of animals from the same herd.

The Sus-Tac on the 338wm is a beast. IT tamed recoil unbelievably well, and noise levels are down to very very low level. It is fairly big, aluminium can, 40mm diameter, and about 300mm long. best silencer I have encountered so far...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast