Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Which Silencer to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Burger View Post
    Not wanting to derail the subject.

I am also looking at the Warrior Large. My question being is there any noticeable performance difference between the reflex and non reflex?

If there is a difference, is the extra length added to the gun worth it?

Again sorry if off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With the Warrior, you lose a lot of the first chamber( reflex and standard use the same"body"), so performance should be slightly less. I cannot notice this difference on a 300WM.

User

There are reasons why a reflex suppressor isn't the best design, since the gases have to go forward and then back into the rear part of the chamber or something like that, so that does affect how well it works. Most people seem to overcome this by just making the suppressor a bit longer, and as a result you can rarely detect much difference. While this does mean a part of your barrel is covered and will heat up, the only reflex suppressor I have experience with is on my father in law's .303. It is the quietest suppressor I have ever experienced. It's simply a joy to shoot. Just gives a loud "pshft" and that's it, with standard ~2,400 FPS loads. I'm still not a big fan of the design (because of how it works), but for now, it works, and that's it. Also the reason I'm taking that offer from the oke with the silencer.

One thing (and I asked this elsewhere as well, as some of you might know), how do you guys clean your suppressors? I've had one recommendation of dumping it in the sonic cleaner, but at 230mm long I don't think it'll fit in the sonic cleaner. To boot, the sonic cleaner uses water, and I'm not a fan of putting steel things in water.

Im dumping mine in a sonic cleaner. Luckily its short so it fits.

What you can do maybe putting one part in. Then turn around and do other part.

Also if you can let the Sonic cleaner heat up the water inside. Most can do this. When you remove the Silencer. Use compressed air to blow into it and water residue out.

Also if you have rinsed it in hot water after clean. The heat in metal will make water evaporate quick. Just squirt some Ballistol in afterwards if still worried.

Alot of dirt comes out when I Sonic clean mine. And thats less then 50 shots I fire between a clean.

Default Which Silencer to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    There are reasons why a reflex suppressor isn't the best design, since the gases have to go forward and then back into the rear part of the chamber or something like that, so that does affect how well it works. Most people seem to overcome this by just making the suppressor a bit longer, and as a result you can rarely detect much difference. While this does mean a part of your barrel is covered and will heat up, the only reflex suppressor I have experience with is on my father in law's .303. It is the quietest suppressor I have ever experienced. It's simply a joy to shoot. Just gives a loud "pshft" and that's it, with standard ~2,400 FPS loads. I'm still not a big fan of the design (because of how it works), but for now, it works, and that's it. Also the reason I'm taking that offer from the oke with the silencer.

One thing (and I asked this elsewhere as well, as some of you might know), how do you guys clean your suppressors? I've had one recommendation of dumping it in the sonic cleaner, but at 230mm long I don't think it'll fit in the sonic cleaner. To boot, the sonic cleaner uses water, and I'm not a fan of putting steel things in water.
    Thank you for the response.

Regarding the cleaning I have seen some of the guys I know dump the whole silencer in a bucket of diesel and wash it with the diesel.

Edit: I don't know if this is a effective method or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I'm not too keen on the diesel thing. I think I should try the sonic cleaner in two parts as mentioned above. Didn't think about that. Will hair dryer it when done so I can dry it out perfectly. I don't really want oily residue on the inside when I'm done with it. I'm worried it might ignite in the suppressor under the heat and pressure of a gunshot going through it.

Put Oven on mayb 80 to just over a 100. Dump it in the oven after the sonic clean. If its a convection oven even better. Reckon heat can be little higher as well as it should be use to high temperature during firing.

Guys who shoot black powder use the very hot water on barrel after cleaning. As it then dries quickly.

Banned

I would still like to see a silencer that "NEEDS" cleaning. I have shot almost 7 mm out my .270 barrel (more than 5 less than 7 mm) and there is nothing wrong with silencer.
    Unless you wanting a hygienic silencer ?, sure it gets black inside, and some carbon build up, but is it even possible to shoot a silencer into past use dirty - blocked ?.

User

Not blocked, no, but the "fuller" it gets from the carbon buildup, the less effective it will be. The larger the chamber volume, the better it will work. The one I'm getting has around 350 rounds through it, so not a lot, but I want to give it a fresh start, so to speak.

User

Alright, so my silencer arrived. Silent Hunter Reflex. Much smaller than I expected, but a hefty 696 grams. Guess I'm going to feel it on the end of a 24" barrel. I can see that it's been used. It's 3rd hand at this stage, and I can see some carbon buildup on the inside, but structurally it seems to be in a great condition. Can't wait to get my rifle now, wow...

Toxxyc. Get a rifle sling thats stretchable if its the correct word. Not a solid Leather type one. I have a Remington VSSF. Its a 26" Varmint barrel so heavy. But Ive noticed years back a bouncy Stretchable sling takes this weight away. Well at least I dont feel as when its a solid sling.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast