Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Benelli 828U O/U

Should fit you nicely too, the comb and length of pull can be adjusted with inserts and the angle and cant can be adjusted with included shims.

I have no actual need for one yet, but want one

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    2016 IWA Shotgun of the Show!

They are awesome, the only choice you need to make it Silver or Black Frame and Barrel length.
    Where are you planning on getting yours from?
    I want to buy a nickle-plated one from the place with the best price ;D

man i wish i never found this thread spent a long nite looking at pictures of that shotgun
    wonder if it comes out in 20ga

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    If he is looking for a field gun there is not much in that price bracket that could compete
    If he wants a 28inch barrel, that is the norm, the 26inch is also available and soon there will be a 30inch
    If he is looking at a Skeet and Trap gun that will do a higher round count, then the 828U Sport is the better option, the 828U Sport is standard with a 30inch barrel

There ya go, not much more research needed
    It is overpriced, so everything in the price bracket competes, even a few in the lower price bracket, what is refreshing is that the pricing in SA compares favorably with the international pricing.

It is also unnecessarily complicated for an O/U. The ejectors requiring gas to be bled of the chamber, is an easy example.

A very good innovation is that cast can easily be adjusted, using shims, other O/U manufacturers are way behind in this regard, and as we all know, the tricks to shoot a shotgun better, includes gunfit. The problem is that if you are especially tall, you may not be able to get the extra length of pull because of the recoil absorption system in the stock, 10mm of additional length of pull sees a lot, but I have seen many guns that needed closer to an inch, and I am sure it would also apply if you are on the stockier side. Pitch also does not seem to be catered for at all. As a matter of fact, I foresee that any stock work for this gun is going to be complicated and may lead to reliability issues.

User

For an Italian made patented shotgun, I don't think so, especially with what is offered in the box.

Far from complicated, in fact if you look at a lot of the innovations related to this specific shotgun you will note that they also simplified a number of technologies. Swings and misses I guess.

I have gotten a 2 meter tall shotgunner friend of mine to play with the 828 and he has been able to get very comfy with it. I also made a point of handing it to as many people of all shapes and sizes at Huntex over the last 2 years and all seemed to like it. Weirdly the most frequently asked question is, when are you getting a 30inch barreled version?
    The shims allow around 40 variations of drop and cant, the comb and recoil pad can be changed for higher and longer versions, so by rights you may well not need to smith the stock.
    If it's not for you it is not for you I guess, the joys of having choices.

User

Like I said, there are some really good innovative things about it, but there are also some issues and talking away the issues, won't make them go away.

The comment that best describes it to me - They fixed a bunch of non-existent problem with current O/U shotguns and created a few more.

To the OP, watch this review and make up your own mind

Thanks Johan

That gives much food for thought...

User

For me they are too light for clay shooting and have overly heavy triggers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by cdbeagle View Post
    For me they are too light for clay shooting and have overly heavy triggers.
    They are better suited to field guns, carry more than you shoot.

As purely a clay gun the 828U Sport is a better option

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast