Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Aluminum Gas block durability

The issue is not how long an alumium unit will last, its about gas port erosion that will enlarge the hole. The gun will be overgassed and cause excessive fouling as it beats itself to death with recoil. After a few thousand rounds an aluminium block will fuse itself to the barrel and may have to be milled off.
    Quit fucking with Eugene and God and go install a steel block.

To the best of my knowledge the gasblock has zero to do with the amount of gas the bolt gets. This is determined by the port size in the barrel. Aluminium may evidence more erosion but it is no more inclined to weld to the barrel than steel blocks. In fact JP even makes an aluminium gas block.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    The issue is not how long an alumium unit will last, its about gas port erosion that will enlarge the hole. The gun will be overgassed and cause excessive fouling as it beats itself to death with recoil. After a few thousand rounds an aluminium block will fuse itself to the barrel and may have to be milled off.
    Quit fucking with Eugene and God and go install a steel block.
    Noted. This rifle has about 400 rounds through it only and I have not shot mag dump after mag dump.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

This gas block rhetoric is in my opinion the same as examples bakkie tyres. Some folks believe they can ONLY drive with BF Goodrich or will never reach their destination. But like myself who is travelling a lot (80 000 km/year) are doing just fine with Continentals or Good Years or any other "normal" tyre. Ask the people using and shooting their guns if they have problems with Aluminium gas blocks frequently? So I did a quick Google search. In the USA there are serious numbers of S&W MP AR's, Ruger AR 556, etc etc sold and used, all of them with Aluminium gas blocks. For the normal user that shoot 300 - 1000 rounds per year and not trying to abuse the rifle they are doing just fine.

My Ford or Isuzu or Nissan will also be able to travel the Namib and Botswana. I don't need a Land Cruiser for that. Yes, if I work there and travel there everyday a Land Cruiser will last longer, for sure, but for my once in a while a normal Hilux is just fine.

Use your Aluminium gas block AR and enjoy it and stop worrying about all the stuff and opinions you read.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    This gas block rhetoric is in my opinion the same as examples bakkie tyres. Some folks believe they can ONLY drive with BF Goodrich or will never reach their destination. But like myself who is travelling a lot (80 000 km/year) are doing just fine with Continentals or Good Years or any other "normal" tyre. Ask the people using and shooting their guns if they have problems with Aluminium gas blocks frequently? So I did a quick Google search. In the USA there are serious numbers of S&W MP AR's, Ruger AR 556, etc etc sold and used, all of them with Aluminium gas blocks. For the normal user that shoot 300 - 1000 rounds per year and not trying to abuse the rifle they are doing just fine.

My Ford or Isuzu or Nissan will also be able to travel the Namib and Botswana. I don't need a Land Cruiser for that. Yes, if I work there and travel there everyday a Land Cruiser will last longer, for sure, but for my once in a while a normal Hilux is just fine.

Use your Aluminium gas block AR and enjoy it and stop worrying about all the stuff and opinions you read.
    I hear you and you are correct.

I do however now believe that different expansion and contraction rates between the 2 metals will eventually cause an issue leading to weapons failure.

This is my concern.. I don’t know how much shooting it takes to reach such a point however

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post

My opinion is is based on a fact. A fact of a single rifle but a fact no less. A steel gas block is a cheap insurance kinda thing.

Id trust the words of gunsmiths working with the rifles day in and out than some random American forum member who may or may not actually own one, or maybe has only shot 100 rounds the rifles whole life.
    Last edited by Grant9; 30-08-2018 at 19:19. Reason: Context

User

My main AR I assembled 10 years ago has got one of these dreaded aluminium gas blocks. No leaks, no fused together gas port and barrel, no corrosion, no mystical expansion induced problems nor gas leaks. This rifle has some 30-40k rounds through it, many of which magdumps for various reasons, therefore I occasionally have to replace the steel gas tube which eventually erodes and lets the gas leak inside the hand guard.

I don't remember by whom the gas port was made, however it was some reputable US company, so it wasn't made from Chinese pot metal instead of heat resistant aluminium alloy.

Where do you guys get these stories from?

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the gasblock has zero to do with the amount of gas the bolt gets. This is determined by the port size in the barrel. Aluminium may evidence more erosion but it is no more inclined to weld to the barrel than steel blocks. In fact JP even makes an aluminium gas block.
    Indeed so I had a Geissele gas block on my last AR and that worked really well, even for a carbine length rifle. AFAIK Their gas blocks are aluminium?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Indeed so I had a Geissele gas block on my last AR and that worked really well, even for a carbine length rifle. AFAIK Their gas blocks are aluminium?
    Not even a little bit.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Not even a little bit.
    I was surprised by the alu gas block comment - Geissele does no compromise products, Alu would be a compromise. Alu over steel would only have one reason imo = money.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast