User

Default Is Conscription Coming Back to Germany?

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war...g-germany.html

Apparently it was originally abolished with the intent to create a more professional volunteer force capable of meeting their defence obligations.

Would this be a good or bad idea?

Default Re: Is Conscription Coming Back to Germany?

Very good in my opinion. When I was of conscription age I thought it wasn’t a good idea, now I believe it’s an excellent idea.

The original idea of conscription was that everyone plays a part, not just a select group, much like the Swiss model.

The real benefit I see is in getting young adults that have never had to wear a uniform in school to learn a bit of discipline for a few months.

Default Re: Is Conscription Coming Back to Germany?

IMHO it's a terrible idea. If the Bundeswehr's ranks are thin, it's for a reason, participation within it's forces is not an attractive career opportunity. If they offered suitable packages, education, tax breaks and other incentives, they wouldn't have a problem filling their ranks. Patriotism is great, but it doesn't pay the bills. Unfortunately, those that would vote in favour of conscription, are typically those who are at no risk having to serve but receive the benefit of forcing others to do so in their stead, voting in their best interest at the expense of others.