Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Mauser 11mm Model 1871 stock restoration project

Good day Members
    I spend time today to restore the broken stock of my 11mm Mauser rifle...I had to hollow out all surfaces in the split part of the stock..I then mixed bedding material, Epidermix 375 product mixed some color into the mix to imitate the color of the wall-nut wood. Here are some photos of today`s work..

Will upload more photos as I make progress...

User

Default Re: Mauser 11mm Model 1871 stock restoration project

Two things : The isolation tape used to secure the broken stock so the bedding mix can cure ensures a continuous pressure on the stock , it is the only type of adhesive tape that keep on gripping the surface around which it is wind around..this ensure the glue /mix to cure to close tolerances..it works better than a clamp...( this trick I learned from Johan Greyling... In two days the mix will be set , I then will remove the screws, make dowls from the same type of Wall-nut and ensure the grain of the dowls will line up according to the grain of the stock..these dowls will be glued into the screw holes after a hole is drill just large enough to be a little larger than the hole...I will use a ball-peen hammer to drive the dowls with glue on it into the dowl hole...this I will leave for three days then sand it down...I am sure the end result will be acceptable...definitely better looking than the screws...I will re-cut the checkering as well..

User

I really am impressed by the way the isolation tape press the stock cracks together..the glueing process work excellent...here are some photos..I will begin working down the stock after I made wall-nut dowls to insert into the screw holes..I need to remove a screw at a time to substitute it with a wooden dowl..
    Photos of the process:

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I really am impressed by the way the isolation tape press the stock cracks together..the glueing process work excellent...here are some photos..I will begin working down the stock after I made wall-nut dowls to insert into the screw holes..I need to remove a screw at a time to substitute it with a wooden dowl..
    Photos of the process:
    Gert, how strong will that stock be when its finished?

Will it be able to handle any recoil?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by dsmerrills View Post
    Gert, how strong will that stock be when its finished?

Will it be able to handle any recoil?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    dsmerrils, for sure, keep in mind I am going to bed the barreled action as well, and insert wooden dowls ....also inserting two recoil lugs to complete strengthening the stock. The black powder rifle do not have a great recoil like a smokeless rifle... if there are any signs of stress fractures/fatigue I will just copy the current stock and build a new "original" type of stock...

User

I completed restoring/epoxied the Mauser 11mm stock process. This will do until I have time to duplicate a rifle stock for the Mauser. I will be driving next week to Hansie Minnaar to work up loads for the Martini Henry, the 11mm Mauser as well as my .375 H&H Magnum Coggswell&Harrison rifle...here are a few photos, the double trigger is really a nice to have on this rifle , it brakes extremely crisp when the back trigger is set....It takes a while but I get time to get to all the different projects I am currently doing...
    Damage stock:

User

Good , I had the fortune to drive through to Hansie Minnaar in the Maasstroom /Vivo region to get his assistance in getting my 11mm Mauser and Martini Henry to shoot accurately.
    Some history about the Mauser 43/11mm as is known ..
    Paul Mauser developed his bolt-action rifle from 1866 to 1871.[2]During 1870–71 trials with many different rifles took place, with the “M1869 Bavarian Werder” being the Mausers’ chief competitor. The Mauser was provisionally adopted on 2 December 1871, pending the development of an appropriate safety. With support from the government’s Spandau arsenal, the improvements to the safety mechanism were completed and the rifle was formally accepted on 14 February 1872 as Infantry Rifle Model 1871 by the German Empire excluding Bavaria. The action was not based on its predecessor, the Dreyse needle gun which had seen service during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–71, and which was found to have a number of weaknesses.[1]
    The now well known Mauser “wing” type safety lever was developed for the Gewehr 71. The Gewehr 71 is a conventional looking bolt action chambered in 11mm using black powder cartridges. The action included only a bolt guide rib as its single locking lug, locking forward of the receiving bridge. The original design was a single-shot. The design was updated in 1884 with an 8-round tubular magazinedesigned by Alfred von Kropatschek, making this Germany’s first repeating rifle. This version was designated the Gewehr 1871/84.[3]A version of this repeater was adopted by the Ottoman Empire. Designated the M1887, it differentiated from the M71/84 in that it had a side mounted cleaning rod, a second locking lug on the rear of the bolt, and it was in caliber 9.5×60mmR, which Paul Mauser touted as the most efficient (black powder) cartridge. In the early 20th century a few were converted to 7.65×53mm smokeless by the arsenal in Ankara.
    The reloading room where all the important stuff takes place:

I was fortunate to purchase a set of reloading dies and got twenty five brass casings from a friend in Germany. Hansie Minnaar , owner of Stewart`s bullets/brass designed a core bonded bullet for my 11mm Mauser. He made .404 Jeffery bullets and paper patched it. This brilliant idea seems to be a winner, since I got a very, very small grouping at fifty meters...
    Here are some photos regarding the work done on the 11mm Mauser:
    Brass formed with the reloading dies:

The design of this cartridge makes it one of the most difficult items to duplicate.

The 11mm Mauser rounds :

Bullets recovered from the shooting range backstop:

Paper patched bullets, the paper tails still needs to be cut off:

The 11mm Mauser being cleaned , oiled and ready to test fire ..the stock is still in tact ..

A perfect designed round :

The double set trigger really is a great feature on this rifle:
    <em><i style="box-sizing: inherit;"><i style="box-sizing: inherit;">

User

Then it was time for the Martini Henry , specially made for the ZAR:

User

That smile says it all Gert. Well done!
    I still have that tanned Buff scrotum for your tobacco pouch. I will be stopping in at Classic Arms sometime in Jan and can drop it with Andy if you want.
    Cheers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    That smile says it all Gert. Well done!
    I still have that tanned Buff scrotum for your tobacco pouch. I will be stopping in at Classic Arms sometime in Jan and can drop it with Andy if you want.
    Cheers.
    Thank you kindly Peter(Sir) I really appreciate it very much...my apologies for not being able to get to you , drink a nice cup of filter coffee and pick up the buffalo scrotum for a nice pouch...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast