User

Default Making Ghost rings for Black powder rifles

Good day to all members. I had time today to mill out a ghost ring I want to fit onto all my black powder rifles for the 1884 Era Black Powder hunt in 2019. I will experiment with different types of ghost rings..fix and adjustable ghost rings..this one is a fix ghost ring...
    More

User

Default Re: Making Ghost rings for Black powder rifles

Did some work on the trail ghost ring for a black powder muzzle loader rifle today..I am busy working on the radius that will fit on the brass barrel pin as far back as possible to ensure a good sight picture..when I completed this trail ghost ring I will be able to improve the final design and copy it ...

User

Hi Gert,

I found some info many moons ago in an American hunting journal that might be of use to you.

They suggested the minimum size for a hunting aperture to be 0.15", optimum 0.23" (about 6mm)
    Best size for target shooting is in the region of 0.096" (2.5mm)

The accompanying front post should be 0.074"-0.08" wide (around 2mm)

I have a Parker-Hale post of 2mm wide on one of my Lee-Enfields, it makes a huge difference compared to the usual 1.4mm wide post.

User

Vratvark, yes , you definitely are correct about the ghost ring size..I will even opt for a 8mm diameter ghost ring with a 3mm wide post ..keep in mind your eye focus on the front bead and your brain center the ghost ring around the front bead..you do not actually see the ring..it is a shadow form ..the front bead is placed where you want the shot to be...advantage of a functional working ghost ring is the great open sight /target picture you get when aiming at the item/game you want to shoot at....

The v-express sight has three things you have to focus on simultaneously.. the v-express rear sight, the front bead sight and the target ...with the ghost ring you only focus on the front bead placement on the target/game you want to shoot at...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    The v-express sight has three things you have to focus on simultaneously.. the v-express rear sight, the front bead sight and the target ...with the ghost ring you only focus on the front bead placement on the target/game you want to shoot at...
    Which is very difficult for us older statesmen whose eyes are beginning to go.

User

User

I decided to make this ghost ring for this particular rifle from Brass..since the strip where I will be securing the ghost ring is made from solid brass...