Default 300 HAM’R® - New caliber from Wilson Combat

Looks like an interesting caliber, here are the details from Wilson Combat.

From Wilson Combat:

The 300 HAM’R® was developed for optimal terminal performance and offers near .308 Winchester effectiveness, amazing accuracy and low recoil in the lightweight and compact WC15 platform. Terminal performance testing on over 200 Texas feral hogs has proven it to kill much more effectively than the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7.62×39 or 300 Blackout. Due to the optimization of bullet weight to barrel twist, accuracy has proven to be outstanding. Sub one-inch groups are the norm with multiple bullet choices for varying applications such as hunting, target shooting and tactical use. Undoubtedly the 300 HAM’R will be compared to the popular 300 BLACKOUT or 7.62×39 and as the comparison charts below indicate, ballistics of the 300 HAM’R far exceeds the 300 BLACKOUT and 7.62×39 in both velocity and energy when utilizing 110-150gr bullets.

There's lots more info on it here: https://www.wilsoncombat.com/300-hamr/
    Last edited by Craig; 27-08-2018 at 12:50.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Banned

Default Re: 300 HAM’R® - New AR15 caliber from Wilson Combat

Looks mighty nice, but from $2500 and upwards

User

Default Re: 300 HAM’R® - New caliber from Wilson Combat

Sorry to be anal about this... but 300ham'r is not a caliber, it is a cartridge. it shoots a 30 caliber bullet...

User

A proprietary caliber, offering marginal benefits over existing more established calibers, in single-source, very expensive rifles......hmmm. I predict a less-than-stellar future. Or did I get one of those aspects wrong? I'm all for innovation, that's cool and all, but to gain widespread acceptance, I can't see this being the way to go to market.

Also looks like it has no case taper. The way to smooth and reliable feeding in both bolt and semi is case taper.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    A proprietary caliber, offering marginal benefits over existing more established calibers, in single-source, very expensive rifles......hmmm. I predict a less-than-stellar future. Or did I get one of those aspects wrong? I'm all for innovation, that's cool and all, but to gain widespread acceptance, I can't see this being the way to go to market.
    I can tell you that they sell all that they manufacture, in the USA.

You grossly underestimate the following of the brand and the people behind it.

You also probably do not understand the reason behind developing the cartridge in the platform it is available in.

User

Not to argue but you could sell 1 gun to 0.1% of the gun owning population in the US, and you would still sell a 100k guns and a couple million rounds of ammo.

It doesn't make the round mainstream or popular.

It would give you a turnover of nearly half a Billion dollars though!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    I can tell you that they sell all that they manufacture, in the USA.

You grossly underestimate the following of the brand and the people behind it.

You also probably do not understand the reason behind developing the cartridge in the platform it is available in.
    Oh, make no mistake, I read up all I could find about this caliber when I saw news of it on Arfcom. But, for example, how well would it do in a market like South Africa? Very badly I would imagine, given our smaller market and restrictive laws. We would depend on very widespread acceptance in the US market. As mentioned, in the states you're going to get people who grab whatever a company like Wilson Combat makes, and I'm sure it's all good quality - from the rifles to the cartridge performance itself. And I do understand the reasons (as much as they stated) for it. But I stand by my reasoning about limited market penetration. Time will tell anyway, mainstream acceptance of a better cartridge is certainly not something I'm averse to!