Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Heckler and Koch USP Compact in South Africa

OK, dropped by my local gun dealer yesterday and he has some new HK USP's in store, and for under R10 000 each. He also has the HK P2000, which seems to be a slightly smaller version of the compact.

Now, I've researched most handguns on the web before, but I can not emphasize enough the effect of being able to actually hold a gun in your hands when evaluating it as opposed to looking at a picture on the web.

All I can say is, I LIKE it!

I had never considered HK's before, largely because I haven't seen one up close, and I always had the impression they were top of the range overly expensive guns for the rich.

However, the first thing that struck me when taking the HK out of it's box was that the USP compact is WAY more comfortable to hold than my G19.

And its weight distribution just feel right. I also like the hammer, which is something new to me compared to my first gun - a striker fired Glock. And the de-cocking lever is also a nice feature.

I would choose the version without the extra safety lever which is an additional option, as I feel it's a bit of overkill with regards to external levers and buttons, especially compared to my Glock which has NO external levers whatsoever. I checked on their website, and you get about 10 versions of the USP, all with different trigger and safety setups.

OK, so now I get to my questions.

Does anyone here have personal experience with HK USP Compacts? Since my Glock is already a compact, I was actually looking for a full size second handgun which could double as a backup defensive weapon but would primarily be purchased under an occasional sport shooting license.

So the ANOTHER compact gun isn't really what I'm looking for. I see you get a full size USP as well, but apparently its design is somewhat different from the compact, with a less comfortable grip and bulkier dimensions. I did get to handle the USP Tactical with a threaded barrel. But that is a HUGE gun and far bigger than I'm interested in.

I would appreciate some thoughts on this gun. Things like the practicality of owning it in SA, spare parts availability, extra mags (it only comes with 2), accuracy, durability etc. Do any guys use them for practical shooting? I see a lot of Glocks and M&P's being discussed, but seldom HK's.

Is there a particular reason for this?

Default Re: Heckler and Koch USP Compact in South Africa

After posting this topic, one of the impressive newfangled functions of the new site showed me a list of threads with similar search terms from before. Very useful. Anyway, I found a previous question about the USP compact.

Seems like most of the guys on that thread gave negative feedback with regards to the USP's trigger and the lack of availability of spare parts in SA.

So I'll just scroll through the rest of that thread to see why they are all so against this gun. There goes my excitement. Bummer.

I have a fullsize USP9 and love it. Yes, it's bulky compared to some other plastique fantastique but not an issue with the right holster (go with a C-tac or M-tac). The grip actually doesn't print under concealement as much as you'd think either. I've ordered mags on the net without issue. The compacts I've shot are a bit more flippy than I'm used to, but the fullsize is awesome. The fullsize locks into the hand tightly. This weapon is built like a tank.

User

Ummm, a dream gun (for me) would be the HK USP-9/40 Combat Competition, change out the sights for Trijicon/tritium Novak's with the LEM trigger group (pictured) and you would be GTG. Probably be pricey, but you won't cry about the quality, and HK while not as prevalent as GLOCK in SA is certainly represented by the local Distributor. The only real bitch is going to be the spare magazines (prices are unreal).

Can you say... "SHWING!!!" *S* :D

I too love my HK USP-9, but that is and remains in SA. I'll have to replace it with the Combat Competition someday.

I sold my USPf .45 and USPc 9mm, mainly because I never shot them after getting my P2000LEM in 9mm and my M&P .45...they were, and remaim, excellent pistols however. I am no H&K fanboy who loves everything they make just because it has their logo on it, but their quality is first class all the way. I do note, however, that magazine prices in SA are insane. If I was going to get another, I would opt for the LEM trigger, but shoot one before you buy...some love it and others hate it.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Well thanks for the info so far, guys.

Thorkind, how does the size of the full size USP compare to say a Glock 17?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

i own the USP 357 sig , 40SW and the 45. recently just got the 9mmP.
    the local agent roenthal have always been efficient and very helpful ( a litte slow at times but its not their fault).
    i had an isue with a magazine once and it was about 9 years old and rosenthal swapped it out it out with a brand new one no quetions asked.
    they are also very good with keeping track of back orders and they take exceptional care of their customers. (please be patient, they handle volumes).

i like the USP full size in general but started getting the compacts since 357sig is available in compact only. i was impressed so much with the overall performance that other calibres followed.

would have been nice for magazines in each calibre to be interchangable but its not an issue.
    they are accurate and very well engineered guns.

KK20

You seem to have experience with a lot of guns. By the way, I'm a member on Glocktalk as well, and saw your comments under the Glock 4th generation Recoil spring version 2 thread - about the whole thing falling apart on you.

With that in mind, how would you compare the quality, durability, shootability and accuracy of the full size USP to a Glock 17?

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
    Well thanks for the info so far, guys.

Thorkind, how does the size of the full size USP compare to say a Glock 17?
    The Glock is lighter and narrower with less protrusions. The USP grip feels less pronounced than the 17 when carrying however. IIRC the USP is about 5 ounces heavier than the 17. Proper holster selection is crucial.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

i have much more experience with USP 45 vs G21 and cannot comment on USP9 vs G17 as i dont own a USPf 9mmP.
    holter choice is very important as the USP can drop a mag if not holstered properly (never happened with my glocks) big difference in feel of the G21and USPf but they are excellent guns. same loads the USP is softer to shoot.

my carry is G20 and my other is USPf 45.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast