User

Default First AR for lady

Hi guys.
    I need some advice on buying my first AR. Not too expensive - I will upgrade later on as I get better. Want to use it to participate in 3 Gun shoots. Is it better to buy one already fitted with red dot or buy the gun and sights separately? Also, which caliber is better considering (1) I want to shoot A LOT and (2) we have a XL650 set up for 9mm...? Is it worth it to rather set up for .223, for instance? Your input will be appreciated

User

Default Re: First AR for lady

I’m not familiar with the distances of 3 Gun shoots. But, to be competitive in IPSC rifle, you would need a .223Rem. At some ranges we shoot up to 300m.

I think your best resource would be Gerrit at Hailstorm. He knows all the in’s and out’s of setting up a gun for a lady. His better half is a very good and rapidly improving competitive shooter.

If you can, get a rifle with an 18” barrel and rifle length gas system. The rest can be upgraded as you go.

User

Thanks Wesley, I will definitely make sure to get in contact with Hailstorm in the near future. Thanks for your input, will look into .223Rem rather than 9mm then.

User

Yip, speak to Gerrit

He will sort you out and knows what he is talking about

User

Thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by AmorP View Post
    Thanks Wesley, I will definitely make sure to get in contact with Hailstorm in the near future. Thanks for your input, will look into .223Rem rather than 9mm then.
    Better yet 5.56x45.

I am not familiar with 3 gun so cannot comment on distances but will say that anything up to 100m is doable with a 9mm. What I do know is that if you are already set up for 9mm it is both infinitely cheaper and so much less hassle to just run one calibre. Yes an xl650 can change calibre fairly easily with a bit of fiddling, but it is just so much easier when your machine is running perfectly in one calibre to just leave alone. I completely understand why some have two or three machines.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    I am not familiar with 3 gun so cannot comment on distances but will say that anything up to 100m is doable with a 9mm. What I do know is that if you are already set up for 9mm it is both infinitely cheaper and so much less hassle to just run one calibre. Yes an xl650 can change calibre fairly easily with a bit of fiddling, but it is just so much easier when your machine is running perfectly in one calibre to just leave alone. I completely understand why some have two or three machines.
    That is exactly what is stuck in my head all the time - either the schlep of fiddling with the XL650 every weekend or spending more money to set up for another calibre. That will result easily in another +-R25k which is a lot taking that I can rather spend it on an AR. But unfortunately distance needs to be considered as well.....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Better yet 5.56x45.
    Because of the fact that you can fire .223Rem ammo as well with a 5.56?

User

Quote Originally Posted by AmorP View Post
    Because of the fact that you can fire .223Rem ammo as well with a 5.56?
    Yes M'am.