Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Storing large amounts of ammo

I just chuck all my 9mm range ammo into a 7.62x51 ammo can
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    The Frontier blue plastic boxes hold about 400 9mm rounds loaded, and stack neatly in the bottom of the safe. After a while the little 50 round Nobleteq type boxes become a pain :)
    Yeah, I also do the same, 350-400 rounds as you state.

I use the 50-round boxes for load dev, or testing loads, or something other than your "go-to-load".

User

9mm goes into a 7.62x51 mil ammo can with 1 pack of silica gel, 5.56 and 7.62x51 goes into a 50 cal mil ammo can with 1 pack of silica gel.

you can store it for a long time as long as you don't expose it to temp. extremes.

User

Thanks to everyone still posting their methods here. It is interesting to hear how you guys store your ammo.

User

I have a separate safe for my reloaded ammo which I store in large zip lock bags. Quantity per bag depends on caliber. 9mmP x 250, 5.56 x 250, .45ACP x 150 (that stuff is heavy), 300blk x 250 (well it will be when the license is approved and I can load all the components). I put Silica sachets into all the bags, and if I go shooting and don't finish a bag I count it and mark the qty / add to another half bag to bring it close to desired quantity.

Shotgun stay in the boxes, all factory ammo, carry ammo, or calibers I don't load for are all in another safe.

I used to store in Vickers Boxes, Frontier Boxes, MTM Cases... they all just take up way more space than a bags of ammo stacked onto of each other, and I find them easier to manage in my range bag than the boxes.

Banned

I don't know whether it was only at my local Shoprite, but they have the humidity absorbers in those clear containers on special for R16.99.
    Buy a few of them and stash it away.
    I place 1ea into a safe, and replace it when the beads at the top level have disappeared and the bottom level is full of water

Banned

It usually lasts around 3 months here in kzn in a large safe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3