Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Storing large amounts of ammo

Silly question - specifically people like sport shooters using calibers like .223 and 9 mm P.

How do you store large amounts of ammunition? Do you store it in those neat little ammo boxes (green MTM/blue plastic boxes) for 50/100 rounds and stack them on top of one another? Or do you just chuck the ammo in a large bucket?

Reason for asking is that if you reload about 100-500 rounds of a caliber, it is nice to pack it in these plastic ammo boxes and organise it neatly. However, when you get to 500 rounds and upwards, you are going to have a lot of ammo boxes to fill and empty ones to store somewhere. Using these plastic ammo boxes, it is very easy to quickly determine how many rounds you have available at any given time (number of full boxes + number of rounds in an opened one). On the other hand, having all your ammo in a big bucket or two could make for easy carrying to the range and if you load a little more ammo than what you perhaps planned to load, you just chuck them into the bucket and don't worry about finding another empty/unfilled smaller ammo box.

What are your preferences and why would you choose the smaller ammo boxes above a few large buckets (or the other way around)?

User

Default Re: Storing large amounts of ammo

I like to keep a few hundred in plastic ammo boxes per calibre. It makes shooting day "grab and go" much easier. These get refilled from the tubs of ammo made on reloading days where I produce in bulk. To make things a bit more orderly the ammo is packed into ziplock bags in 50s or 100s depending on calibre and then into the tubs. 2l and 5l icecream tubs work well for this.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using Tapatalk

User

A couple of plastic ammo boxes to take to the range and then the bulk in one large plastic container per caliber.

User

I keep all ammo in boxes in my safe, its just neater. MTM boxes work best for me. 4k rounds of 9mm and 2k round of 223 at most. All 100 round boxes. I have a lot of ammo boxes and a big safe. The only thing that's not in 100 round boxes is my shotgun ammo. I find it easier when going to a shoot to just grab 2 or 3 boxes depending what the round count is. Better than arriving at a shoot with what you thought was 200 rounds to find that its only 150 and the shoot requires 180.

I built up as I was going. In the beginning I only loaded 500 rounds and it would last me 2 or 3 months. Then I started shooting more and it became 500 rounds a month, so I bought more boxes. Now its around 1000 rounds a month so I like to load 3000 to 4000 rounds at a time so I don't have to load that often.

User

sadf plastic vickers ammo boxes
    marked
    7.62x39
    12gauge
    9x19

in case need to grab and go

camo sells them

User

User

At the moment I'm storing them in the neat little boxes of 20 they come from the GS....So I will look at moving them to plastic boxes. Question....How long could one store ammo (Long Term) if one adds silica gel beads to absorb moisture in safe store environment?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum View Post
    At the moment I'm storing them in the neat little boxes of 20 they come from the GS....So I will look at moving them to plastic boxes. Question....How long could one store ammo (Long Term) if one adds silica gel beads to absorb moisture in safe store environment?
    I've shot paper 12 gauge shells that my grandfather was given

ammo lasts a long long time

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    I've shot paper 12 gauge shells that my grandfather was given

ammo lasts a long long time
    Thanks Bud!!

I store my 9mm ammo in small ziplock bags, 50 per bag. All together in a big bag in the safe. I keep about 3 x 50 plastic boxes for range session, and refill afterwards (helps to keep count).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast