Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default .22 Range Pistols

Dont see many of them around on here.

Is there a reason? Not that economical compared to 9mm?

I have my eyes on a Ruger Mark IV. Not sure why though. The looks.... something different?

My current range pistol is a CZ P10, but I want more.rm4.jpg

User

Default Re: .22 Range Pistols

Rogan, there is much joy in shooting a good .22 pistol. The only problem is that extra magazines are very hard to come by compared to 9mm pistols. I recently got a Ruger 22/45 Lite and I cannot shoot it enough. Very accurate. Light recoil (think arthritis and older age). Really worth it in my opinion. You have to experiment a bit with ammo. .22 Pistols are like women. They each prefer certain ammo over others.

I just bought in Febr about the Ruger Mark iv Target with Wood finger groove grips from Guns n Bows.

The Mark iv takes apart faster then a Glock. Not the previous Marks.

But make no mistake the factory trigger compared to the Browning Target older gold triggers is crap.
    Its very hard trigger pull. On all models. in part also due to magazine safety.
    Firts time on range I thought I still had safety on.

But after first 10 round mag. It proofed itself very accurate. Once you get used to trigger pull.

I ordered the Volquartsen Trigger Kit for mine. So it will be a safe queen till it arrives.

I also ordered the Volquartsen Exact extractor for it.
    This apparently completely eliminates all problems with feeding and extracting you might get with different 22lr ammo.

User

I have the Smith & Wesson M&P .22 Compact pistol. Initially I thought it would be nice for my SI and kids. They have shot a few hundred and the trigger has smoothed out, a little different to my usual Glock triggers but it breaks crisply. Minimal recoil and it gobbles all types of ammo.

User

Nothing wrong with the Ruger, Tonnes of hop ups available

Mine is getting ready for Steel Challenge

S&W Victory is another option

Has anyone purchased a ruger mk4 recently? Very curious as to what they go for roughly here. Will be watching this topic closely.

My twin brother bought a Mk IV at Guns and Bows in Feb. Licence came through end July. Ruger finally sorted out the stripping. He always liked the 22 pistols but never cared for the stripping. He is very happy with this one. It's pretty darn accurate too.

Only place I seen them in Jhb is Dave Sheers for R12500.

The Mark IV's are starting at +- 10 000.
    If you plan on making it very nice.
    The Volquartsen trigger kit will be Just over R2000.
    And the Exact extractor about R500

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    And the Exact extractor about R500
    Where did you get yours? I see it fits Ruger Mk II, III & IV, as well as the 10/22

User

If you want a really nice .22LR pistol I can recommend the old Browning medalist range. Nomenclature can be confusing because they were seemngly sold under several different names but they come in a variety of barrel lengths, barrel weights with several variations of grips. Some had wooden forearms and some had extra weights that could be fitted under the barrel. Most have a round barrel but the very last ones had a square profile barrel. Relatively common so magazines a bit less difficult to get than other pistols. All those that I've looked at had the gold trigger.

There was one advertised on gunafrica this last weekend but the advert has gone so I guess it's been sold.

They come up very regularly on the Classic Arms auctions. If I remember correctly, prices closer to R5k than the R10k that a new Ruger would cost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast