Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Which rifle calibre?

Many will corroborate my statement below.

The 308 standard calibers (303 included) deliver extra performance that insures quick kills on African game animals. Thus the 30-30 (in the bush), 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 and 303 will assure safe hunting of all but the biggest animals. Using premium bullets you can stretch them to effectively kill eland. Penetration and wound channel seem at an optimum and are all you need for general hunting. Most of the smaller calibres come with an if or a but to sanction their use on bigger game.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Many will corroborate my statement below.The 308 standard calibers (303 included) deliver extra performance that insures quick kills on African game animals. Thus the 30-30 (in the bush), 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 and 303 will assure safe hunting of all but the biggest animals. Using premium bullets you can stretch them to effectively kill eland. Penetration and wound channel seem at an optimum and are all you need for general hunting. Most of the smaller calibres come with an if or a but to sanction their use on bigger game.
    But the OP said no hunting :)

User

As for the original question, if you are going to focus on buying something because of factory ammo avail then you are going to screw yourself. You said you will reload eventually, focus on that, buy the correct target shooting cartridge and start reloading for it.For target shooting at longer distances you need only two things, a cartridge that beats the wind whiles producing the least amount of recoil.In the states, for a while the PRS shooters all went over to 6.5 cartridges, the whole creedmoor craze etc, but in recent years the dominating cartridge there is the 6mm creedmoor. Simple, it's got less recoil and does the same thing, Lapua also started making brass for it. So while the long range shooters here in SA are all still falling for a 6.5 that won't last, they will follow suit and go over to 6mm in due time.You want a hunting rifle/target shooting combo the 308 is your choice, but for pure target shooting, never, focus on wind management and recoil.

User

I cant believe no one has mentioned the humble .243 Win

A fantastic Cartridge in its own right

Plenty Factory ammo and great components available in SA

Banned

Normally commercial 243's come in 1:10 twist rates. Not conducive to shooting high BC bullets in the 105-109gr range. That calls for custom barrels. The Creed comes with these features as standard.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Normally commercial 243's come in 1:10 twist rates. Not conducive to shooting high BC bullets in the 105-109gr range. That calls for custom barrels. The Creed comes with these features as standard.
    Its beyond me that rifle manufacturers cannot see the need for a factory offering of a 243 in a tighter twist. It would be a very attractive option.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Put into perspective, discounting the cost of quality cases, you could reload. .223 match round for about R6 or R7.
    using SAKO brass, Nosler CC bullets, CCI primers, and Somchem powders, I reload for the 6.5x55 at R8.50 a bang...

The bullets is the most expensive component of the whole cartridge. and often, buying in bulk brings massive savings. Typically, 223, 6.5 and 308 bullets are available in large batches, so I would choose one of those. Next is the brass. some cartridges are just more expensive than others. 6.5x55 seems to be around R850-R1000 per 100... 6.5Creed, seems to be R1200 - R1500.. yes, you can get cheap brass, byt in many cases, you get what you pay for...

The choice of powder is up to you. I have not used Vithavuori or any of the IMR powders available, but want to try. The Somchem at R350-R400 a tin is ok. if you can get the one you want...

primers get what you like... they are 60c to just over R1 each.. again, buy bulk when they are cheap (you are allowed to keep 2000 without DSS or DH) S&O sold then @R65/100 so I stocked up...

this way, me and my 2 girls can shoot 100 rounds at the range without feeling it too much in the pocket...

Factory ammo, I think apart 223 or 308 will be your cheapest choices, but still be prepared for R350-R650 per 20.... unless you buy millsurp (again, bulk = bigger savings)...

my (Zimbabwean) 2c

User

Thanks for the thorough answers! It hasn't made my decision any easier, but given me lots to consider.

Ive been following this thread coz I also want to get a rifle a little later. Like you im just as confused as in the beginning.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    Given in no particular order, my choices:

6.5 by 55 creedmore

7mm Rem mag

.223 rem (probably most cost effective)

Cost
    Lowest to highest.
    6.5 x 55 or Creedmore
    7mm rem.

600m and 1000 world records are held by 6mm (243) bullets. 6mm BRA (bench rest Ackley) and 6mm Dasher respectively. Maybe look for a factory 6mm Creedmore or 6x47 Lapua. 243 wins are also very accurate. 6mm Creedmore is available in Howa rifles. I am not sure of the availability.

A 308 win is a good option unless you want to be different.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast