Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scope for 308

User

Default Scope for 308

Hi there

I just bought a 308. I want to buy a scope for hunting, mostly bushveld, but also want it for some sport shooting, lets say about 400 to 500 meter. I first look at the hawke sidewinder, but read somewhere it is very sensitive. I want something that can be zero at 100, but be easy changed if the target is further. I'm a little bit new to scopes, had use a few on other peoples rifles, but would like any input.

Also can not afford something that is too high. Still safe money why I had to wait for competency and licence, but think I will be able to spend between R8000 and R10000.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

User

Default Re: Scope for 308

I just bought a Vortex 6.5-20 x 50 from S&O

Have a look

Vortex is great and has an unlimited lifetime warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PduPreez View Post
    Hi there

I just bought a 308. I want to buy a scope for hunting, mostly bushveld, but also want it for some sport shooting, lets say about 400 to 500 meter. I first look at the hawke sidewinder, but read somewhere it is very sensitive. I want something that can be zero at 100, but be easy changed if the target is further. I'm a little bit new to scopes, had use a few on other peoples rifles, but would like any input.

Also can not afford something that is too high. Still safe money why I had to wait for competency and licence, but think I will be able to spend between R8000 and R10000.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.
    In my H opinion, if you are going to use the scope mostly for bushveld hunting a 3-9 X 40 will be more than sufficient. you can use the 4 X in the bush and the 6-9 X for the long distance as well. The scopes with the big objectives are not necessary

User

For Bushveld Hunting a good 2 - 7 x 32 or 2.5 -8 x 38 would be an excellent choice. I have had both types on my 9.3x62 with the Leupold VX3 2.5-8x38 now a permanent fixture.

A good 3-9 x 40 should do what you want it to under almost all bushveld hunting conditions and be good for some non-serious plinking at longer ranges. Look at Leupold, Vortex, Redfield, Burris and Lynx's LX2 range in your budget. My ex .300 Win Mag had a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 40 on it which served me well

Serious/ competitive long range shooting (make no mistake, 500M is already quite a distance) however requires excellent glass and higher magnification but carries with it a weight penalty. Take my "long range" setup where I fitted a Lynx LX3 5-30x56 to my .243, the scope alone weighs around 1.2Kg and is bulky. It has great glass, zero stop turrets and a ranging reticle but I wouldn't take it hunting unless it was a "voorsit" scenario. For bushveld hunting it is completely impractical.

Somewhere in the middle you could find a compromise between magnification(weight) and glass(money). In my case I fitted a Lynx 4.5-14x42 LX2 to my .223. Very good glass and not an obscene amount of weight. I regularly shoot 200M with this setup at my local range(Maximum distance available there) with good results and it is a pleasure to carry when hunting.

User

I have a vortex viper 3-9x scope on my .308 and use it mostly for bushveld hunting and range fun. I never use higher mag than 6x in the bush.

If I were to do it over I will most definitely buy the vortex viper hs 4-16x44 scope.
    But I will not go any higher magnification than that.

User

The point of having a scope that has a magnification is that you can dial it back. Buy the 6.5-20 you can help my with it set at 9x or 6.5x in the bush you can see targets at 500m using the 20x.

Why would you limit yours of to 16x unless it was price? The Vortex fits in your budget.

There was one comment about weight. The Vortex weighs 21.6oz or 612grams.

It also has 1/4 MOA clicks which is better for the longer shots.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.patience View Post
    The point of having a scope that has a magnification is that you can dial it back. Buy the 6.5-20 you can help my with it set at 9x or 6.5x in the bush you can see targets at 500m using the 20x.

Why would you limit yours of to 16x unless it was price? The Vortex fits in your budget.

There was one comment about weight. The Vortex weighs 21.6oz or 612grams.

I have lost a lot more opportunities at game due to the narrow field of view of my 6.5-20x50 scope (Leupold mk4) at close range than I have ever lost at any game at longer range using one of my 3-9x40 (again Leupold) scopes. If you buy a scope, mainly for hunting, I'd recommend a bottom power of not more than 4x.

I have recently replaced the 6.5-20x50 with a 3-18x44 for the reason mentioned above.

I bought the Hawke Sidewinder 4-16x50 for my 243 AI when they first came onto the market but promptly swapped it out for a Nightforce SHV which i am very impressed by. Very clear glass, fine reticle and repeatable turrets!

User

Quote Originally Posted by justinwh8 View Post
    I bought the Hawke Sidewinder 4-16x50 for my 243 AI when they first came onto the market but promptly swapped it out for a Nightforce SHV which i am very impressed by. Very clear glass, fine reticle and repeatable turrets!
    Very nice scopes but the OP said his budget was R8-10k the night force start at about double that

User

Lynx LX3 2.5-15x50 might just make it into OP's budget.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast