Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scope for 308

Default Re: Scope for 308

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.patience View Post
    Very nice scopes but the OP said his budget was R8-10k the night force start at about double that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes the NF scopes are awesome. I’m sure SafariOutdoor just had them good on sale for under 10k?

User

Not sure whats happening with nikon, cannot seem to find stock anywhere, but the monarch 4-16x42/50 would also work

https://www.safarioutdoor.co.za/coll...cope-vv41644dh
    https://kloppers.co.za/hunting/rifle...5-14x50mm.html

Jack of most trades, masters of none.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have lost a lot more opportunities at game due to the narrow field of view of my 6.5-20x50 scope (Leupold mk4) at close range than I have ever lost at any game at longer range using one of my 3-9x40 (again Leupold) scopes. If you buy a scope, mainly for hunting, I'd recommend a bottom power of not more than 4x.

I have recently replaced the 6.5-20x50 with a 3-18x44 for the reason mentioned above.
    I use a 3-9 x 40 Leupold on my 30-06 and use this mostly for Bush Veld hunting. I set the scope on 6x and more or less leave it there. If I want to shoot past 100m I zoom it out to 9x.

Have a look at the pics below this is a Kudu in StrelokPro

This is 6 x at 100m

6 x at 50m

And this is 3 x at 50m

They are pretty accurate from my experience so what the guys are saying is true about wanting no more than 4x on the low end.

16 x will also get you out to the 500m you were talking about.

Up to you. I have my bushveld rifle 30-06 with 3-9 and my plains rifle .270 with 6.5-20

User

BTW this is the Vortex 6.5-20 zoomed to 6.5 at 50m. Thanks to the wider field of view this is what I expect.

User

^^^ Very nice pics illustrating the point perfectly. At the risk of beating a dead horse here, stick to a 3-9 for typical bush hunting. I have a 2-10 scope, dial set to around 6'ish zoom and perfect for even small animals like Springbok at 130m. If they closer I dial down to 3'ish

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gbyleveldt View Post
    ^^^ Very nice pics illustrating the point perfectly. At the risk of beating a dead horse here, stick to a 3-9 for typical bush hunting. I have a 2-10 scope, dial set to around 6'ish zoom and perfect for even small animals like Springbok at 130m. If they closer I dial down to 3'ish
    Glenn I think you missed my point a little. The 6.5-20 is a new age scope and the guys at Vortex have improved the field of view at 6.5x. If you compare the pic for the Leupold 3-9 set at 3x for 50m and the 6.5-20 set at 6.5x at 50m you will see almost the same picture.

Therefore I would say IMHO (or maybe not so H) that the Vortex May just be the option.

I would suggest the OP go to S&O get the two scopes out set them at the minimum mag and have a look through them at the trophies in the shop and make a call from there.

BTW If you go to S&O mid week when they aren’t to busy you can take the two scopes outside and look at something 500m away and really make an informed decision.

User

Glenn I think you missed my point a little. The 6.5-20 is a new age scope and the guys at Vortex have improved the field of view at 6.5x. If you compare the pic for the Leupold 3-9 set at 3x for 50m and the 6.5-20 set at 6.5x at 50m you will see almost the same picture.

Therefore I would say IMHO (or maybe not so H) that the Vortex May just be the option.

I would suggest the OP go to S&O get the two scopes out set them at the minimum mag and have a look through them at the trophies in the shop and make a call from there.

BTW If you go to S&O mid week when they aren’t to busy you can take the two scopes outside and look at something 500m away and really make an informed decision.

Vortex 6.5-20X50 = 5.6m field of view @ 100 yards
    Leopold VX2 3-9x40 = 12m field of view @ 100 yards

Which one would u use for bushveld hunting ?

User

According to the websites of the respective manufacturers, field of view of the Vortex at 6.5x is 17.4 feet at 100yds and fov of the Leupold is 34.6 feet at 100 yds.

The Leupold 3-9x40, at 3x, have almost double the field of view that the Vortex 6.5-20 have at 6.5 power. In my experience this makes a huge difference at close range especially on moving animals.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    According to the websites of the respective manufacturers, field of view of the Vortex at 6.5x is 17.4 feet at 100yds and fov of the Leupold is 34.6 feet at 100 yds.

The Leupold 3-9x40, at 3x, have almost double the field of view that the Vortex 6.5-20 have at 6.5 power. In my experience this makes a huge difference at close range especially on moving animals.
    All said and done what I would do is what I suggested. Go to the gun shop and have a look at both. The numbers on paper are just that. If you look through the respective scopes you can make a decision based on real life experience.

User

The numbers on paper are just that. If you look through the respective scopes you can make a decision based on real life experience.

I have been hunting with a 6.5-20x50 for the past two years, I have been hunting with 3-9x40 scopes for the past 20, I would like to think that, that is real life experience :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast