Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Scope for 308

User

Default Re: Scope for 308

Agreed with above. I’ve been on two trips so far this season. In both cases, using a 2-10x42 Leopold scope, the scope was left on 5x magnification the whole trip. Perfect for kudu and swb at bush hunting distances (80-150m).

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Nic View Post
    Hello everybody!
    Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts.
    I am now in the process of buying a scope for my .308
    and i will be hunting mainly in the bushveld, like thabazimbi, bela-bela, Mussina, ellisras etc.

What is the conclusion?
    Can all of you please tell me the 3 best options for the bushveld.
    Most people say you do not need more than a
    3-9x40 scope.
    I dont want to spend more than R10k, because i dont think you need to?
    I am lost and dont know what to buy.
    I will appreciate your honest opinions.
    thank you
    Luke Nic
    Jhb
    Last week I hunted in thick bush near the Lephalale area using a Leupold VX3 3.5-10, you should chose glass quality over magnification for the bush especially if you are in the bush before 6am or late after sunset.

So 3-9 or 3-10 is more than sufficient.

Leupold is my pick

Ill recommend Lynx LX3. Ive fitted a 5-30x56 on my 308. Brilliant on range. Super clear at 500m which is length of range. And for hunting I stay 5-12 on it. But its super handy in field from bipod or bakkie to use as spotting scope up to 30x. Got open turrets. And zero stop. Which always returs to zero on my lx3

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Ill recommend Lynx LX3. Ive fitted a 5-30x56 on my 308. Brilliant on range. Super clear at 500m which is length of range. And for hunting I stay 5-12 on it. But its super handy in field from bipod or bakkie to use as spotting scope up to 30x. Got open turrets. And zero stop. Which always returs to zero on my lx3
    I have heard of the brand numerous times with great reviews but never bought one, if possible, where in the Leupold VX line can the LX3 be compared to?

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...50-first-scope

My old man has been shooting his 308 with a Vortex Crossfire 6-18x44 to great success first scope in years which has been able to get decent grouping with his fading eyesight

User

Hi there.

I'm back at the threat that I started. Ok I bought a Burris Eliminator for my 308. Works good in the Freestate open fields and on the range, but not tested it in the bush-veld yet. My brother also bought one but he said it did not work very well in the bush areas. In the meantime I also bought a Howa 6.5 creedmoor with the Oryx chassis fitted with a Nikko Sterling Panamax 4.5-14x50 scope (came as a package) and also bought a .22 LR without a scope. Both new firearms is already approved and think I will receive the cards in the next week or two.

So now for the questions. I will use the 308 mostly for the bush-veld hunting. The 6.5 creedmoor for the range and long open fields like the Free State for Springboke and Blesbokke. The .22 LR will be mostly for play at the range. I wanted to put the Burris on the Creedmoor for the longer distances and the Nikko Sterling on the 308, but I saw the Nikko Sterling is a very cheap scope so don't know if it will be a good Idea. So want to know if it will be a better option to put the Nikko Sterling on the .22 and get something like the Leopold 3-9x40 for the 308.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PduPreez View Post
    Hi there.

I'm back at the threat that I started. Ok I bought a Burris Eliminator for my 308. Works good in the Freestate open fields and on the range, but not tested it in the bush-veld yet. My brother also bought one but he said it did not work very well in the bush areas. In the meantime I also bought a Howa 6.5 creedmoor with the Oryx chassis fitted with a Nikko Sterling Panamax 4.5-14x50 scope (came as a package) and also bought a .22 LR without a scope. Both new firearms is already approved and think I will receive the cards in the next week or two.

So now for the questions. I will use the 308 mostly for the bush-veld hunting. The 6.5 creedmoor for the range and long open fields like the Free State for Springboke and Blesbokke. The .22 LR will be mostly for play at the range. I wanted to put the Burris on the Creedmoor for the longer distances and the Nikko Sterling on the 308, but I saw the Nikko Sterling is a very cheap scope so don't know if it will be a good Idea. So want to know if it will be a better option to put the Nikko Sterling on the .22 and get something like the Leopold 3-9x40 for the 308.
    I have a Leupold 3-9x40 on my .308. It's been a great combination in my opinion. At one stage I also had a 6.5-20 on it for a while, but I actually prefer the 3-9x40 on it for hunting.

Ive recently fitted a 4-16 Vortex HS Viper on my 222. Its in your bracket. Crystal clear scope with side paralax.

What ever you buy make sure has side paralax and not in front.

On my 308 I replaced my trusty 6-24x42 Lynx professional which served me over 12 years hunting and on range with the new LX3 5-30x54. This LX3 is brilliantly clear and out to 500m which is length of our range its a pleasure to shoot. Might be heavy on rifle to carry in field though. But a brilliant scope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4