Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Hinges: how I make them for rustic type of kitchen cabinets

Good day members , I am currently busy building kitchen cabinets using wood from pallets.I already cut the pallets into parts to build the cabinets. Today I commenced with making the hinges..using a tube of 16 mm diameter and a piece of twelve millimeters of round bar .
    Here are a few photos:
    Cutting the pipe in twenty millimeters pieces.

Removing the rough edges of the pipe pieces.

First part of hinges assembled..I now need to weld the ends to keep the together.

Will upload as I am make progress...

User

Default Re: Hinges: how I make them for rustic type of kitchen cabinets

I made progress today. Here are photos of the drawings I made of the hinge.The final product will be made from three millimeter thick sheet metal ..I will forge these hinges to effect a rustic appearance...

Prototype:

User

I would very much like to see the final product once finished. I also built some cabinets out of pallet wood. Making my own hinges would've came in handy so I am definitely keeping my eyes on this thread.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf777 View Post
    I would very much like to see the final product once finished. I also built some cabinets out of pallet wood. Making my own hinges would've came in handy so I am definitely keeping my eyes on this thread.
    Wolf777, these pallets I am using is a very durable type of pine from abroad..it really makes for beautiful rustic cabinets ..it gets an aged appearance when the spray work are completed..The hinges I forge in my charcoal forge and hit the surface with a hammer, it really give an antique appearance to the complete finishing product. I will upload photos as I am making progress. At this stage I am working on a variety of projects so it is not always possible to work only on on project and complete is ..but on the end of the day I do get them all completed..

Banned

Gert, something to try out. I've seen it done on YouTube. It's supposed to be an old Japanese technique.
    Burning the wood with a blow torch.
    Brings out the grain beautifully and it makes it more durable

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Gert, something to try out. I've seen it done on YouTube. It's supposed to be an old Japanese technique.
    Burning the wood with a blow torch.
    Brings out the grain beautifully and it makes it more durable
    BBT, yes , you are correct it really work when burning out the soft material and sand it down...it really gives a good antique look...

Banned

Don't forget to hose it down with water straight after

User

BBT, I do not use the flame burning technique anymore, I age the wood by sanding , flapper- the soft weathered wood material, paint it with a mixture of dark wood stain and mixed high gloss varnish and sanding sealer ..when I completed this and it dried for two days I sand it down with steel-wool.
    Then I spray the whole table top or cabinet frame /door with a mixture of high gloss clear varnish and sanding sealer to give a satin finish..

User

I had time today to cut a lot of material from an old three millimeter thick sheet metal piece. It will take time to do all the cutting work.
    The next step will be to heat these pieces and hit it with a ball peen hammer ..

User

Completed a few hinges, will put the sheet metal parts in the forge and hit it with a ball peen hammer to create a rustic appearance...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast