Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hinges: how I make them for rustic type of kitchen cabinets

Gert, your wife must be loving you. My wife would have pressed the reset button a few times. Thats why I only do home projects when she is away, as she can not visualize the progress as I make it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Gert, your wife must be loving you. My wife would have pressed the reset button a few times. Thats why I only do home projects when she is away, as she can not visualize the progress as I make it.
    Finkelstein, the kitchen is not for my wife..it is for me, I like making food and like a nice looking kitchen...all I need now is a few knifes I need to forge to compliment my kitchen and use it when cooking or processing meat..I am even fitting a permanent biltong dryer to dry biltong right through the year...I bought some N690 steel bars to forge stainless steel knifes...will make the knifes part of the kitchen design...

User

Just remember your kitchen will be very dark if you keep everything natural wood.

In Victorian kitchens most wood cupboards would have been painted, as varnish was not as good as today, and the lightning were poor.

Do you have help that clean for you? All that nooks etc will be a major job to be cleaned.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Just remember your kitchen will be very dark if you keep everything natural wood.

In Victorian kitchens most wood cupboards would have been painted, as varnish was not as good as today, and the lightning were poor.

Do you have help that clean for you? All that nooks etc will be a major job to be cleaned.
    One reason I build the cupboards to stop at the roof is to get rid of the grime that collect on cupboards in Witbank..the finish is a lot of sanding sealer with two layers of gloss varnish..not everything will stuck to the varnish ...it generally is easier to dust these surfaces of ...lightning will be more than enough since there are large kitchen windows and I am fitting two Olien hout wood beam lights that consist of four LED lights that saves energy...the old florence light will be removed when I connect the two new light systems...Ruan will fit LED light strips on the bottom of the wall cupboards as well ..this will give more efficient light to the kitchen in the night as well..Keep in mind I now has a open plan kitchen after I removed the old dividing kitchen cupboards...

User

Spend some time on the kitchen fitting lights, I completed the first Olien stomp light hanger, fortunately I have some beautiful Olien wood pieces that I am currently making a nice standing light with..I will apply the first sanding sealer coat today..
    (cell photo)
    Off cut pieces turn into a nice lamp:

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Finkelstein, the kitchen is not for my wife..it is for me, I like making food and like a nice looking kitchen...all I need now is a few knifes I need to forge to compliment my kitchen and use it when cooking or processing meat..I am even fitting a permanent biltong dryer to dry biltong right through the year...I bought some N690 steel bars to forge stainless steel knifes...will make the knifes part of the kitchen design...
    Gert, send me your number via PM again. I must show you pictures of Japanese kitchen knifes made by Japanese sword smiths that i get to buy for 21 Euros here in Ireland.

User

Finkelstein, great , would love to see those knifes..whats app number...

User

Good, members, I had some time to spend on completing the Olien hout lamp. Fortunately I have a few great pieces as off cuts to make knife display bases for the kitchen knifes I want to forge ..here is a before and after photo of the Olien hout lamp..

I will make my own lamp shade from pressed/dried long grass , leafs and small pieces of stalks paste onto shade material and cover with chivon material..this really makes for a great looking lamp shade ..

I used the piece on the right side of the photo to cut it up as knife display bases...

User

I am currently cutting Olien hout to use for lamps and features to display some of my knifes. Today I cut a great piece of beautiful indigenous wood to use as a meat /food processing surface in my newly antique build kitchen...here is something a person do not see every day..this type of quality wood is not seen every day..

User

Good, I completed the meat chopping block for my kitchen, the second sanding sealer layer is already sprayed on...I rounded the sharp edges , counted the growth rings , summer and winter rings adds up to 91 years of age...here are some photos..tomorrow this great piece of wood will receive it`s first interior varnish, high gloss coat...
    Before photo:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast