Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hinges: how I make them for rustic type of kitchen cabinets

Good, I finally get to the stage where I am fitting/building kitchen cabinets for my kitchen, replacing the old chipboard ones..I am using paving stone pallets for this purpose, a type of good quality pine wood giving a great finishing appearance ,,,very different from the pine wood we know...the pine that is used for roofing..
    I am assembling the first cabinet and will assemble some hinges as well , this will happen tomorrow...will upload photos as I make progress..

User

Looking good so far! May I ask where you source these pallets from?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf777 View Post
    Looking good so far! May I ask where you source these pallets from?
    Wolf777, it is through a friend who is so kind to get these pallets for me..

User

Had some time to put together a kitchen cabinet , I am using this old type of wood from a pallet..the wood really gives a vintage appearance when the finishing is completed
    This is how the wood look :

This is how it looks when I remove some surface parts using a flapper disk..

The wall cabinet screw together , I commenced welding the hinges and will fit it tomorrow ..working on the door as well

User

A few photos of the hinges:

User

Here are a few photos of the cabinet. ( cell photos) I completed the first wall unit , applied three layers of sanding sealer, will sand it down with steel wool and give it a final coat using a mixture of sanding sealer, high gloss enamel and thinners solution...it will give a satin finish since I do not like shining kitchen cabinets..
    Apologies for the poor photo quality, I will use my camera next time...

User

Had time today to applied the first Varnish layer, I mixed the varnish with some thinners to ensure a better fusing with the sanding sealer layer..
    I will be applying two more varnish layers ..then I need to remove the hinges one by one , heat it in the forge and hit it with a hammer welded ball bearings on to give a nice texture ..throw the red hot hinges in oil to give it a vintage appearance and ensure it will not rust..

User

Good , members, I made some progress in building a second kitchen wall cabinet with some great results in regards to the finishing of this cabinet , it really look great , I will upload photos tomorrow. The first kitchen wall cabinet will be fitted tomorrow...

User

Completed two kitchen cabinet wall hangers ....this is the finishing...

Nice. I like you material choice for the hinges. I would be too lazy to cut those all out and rather have them water/laser cut (damn cheap now days) and peen the metal with a ball peen hammer. Maybe use bluing compound.

I always try and grab imported pallets as European pine appears to be denser and stronger then the stuff we use locally.

The only change I would make with you setup is to use coach/carriage bolts (grind the text on the head off) to emulate rivets.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast