Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Meat Eater on Netflix

From this thread, I've been watching the show (season 6) on Netflix and its brilliant!

The MeatEater podcast is an absolute favorite. Very USA focused, which is fair enough. He is not a big fan of South African “high fence” hunting. Perhaps his opinions are skewed, or perhaps mine are! I’d love to hunt elk in the states though!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sidebyside View Post
    The MeatEater podcast is an absolute favorite. Very USA focused, which is fair enough. He is not a big fan of South African “high fence” hunting. Perhaps his opinions are skewed, or perhaps mine are! I’d love to hunt elk in the states though!
    His Joe Rogan podcasts are also good.

I think he would enjoy some of the open farms where we hunt.

I also pick up he likes it to suck a bit more, where he has multiple long hunts and multiple opportunities to get something, us normal folks have limited time to attain his purist form of hunting.

What blows my mind is the fact that you pretty much have to dress and pack out all the meat you want right there. Ads a crazy dimension to hunting in certain places.

I shot my last Kudu across two koppies. If I knew I would have to carry the animal out a couple of kilometres I would have maybe waited for a better spot.

this is a photo showing the other spot.

My son and I really would love to go Caribou hunting in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can be spoiled a bit with our hunting here. There are often others available to do a lot of the “work”. Or just a bakkie to fetch the animal. And hunter. To head back to a lodge. But we have to put up with A LOT of other things to enjoy those benefits, so I’m not going to give them up. I haven’t hunted Alaska, but did visit- the number of bugs (flies and mosquitoes) is almost unbearably insane.

User

I'm loving this series. The presenter has a presence and a respect for nature, people and their ways like I've never seen before. It's actually got me thinking quite a bit. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I'm loving this series. The presenter has a presence and a respect for nature, people and their ways like I've never seen before. It's actually got me thinking quite a bit. Fantastic.
    Also started watching the show, really loving it. As Toxxyc said, the respect for people and nature is awesome.

User

I just checked, by the way, and I got it from Season 1 on Netflix. Currently at Ep 14 or so, the sooty grouse one. So far I've been slightly taken aback buy just one thing in one episode - the one where the locals shoot and eat the howler monkey - but the presenter's attitude toward it changed my opinion a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I just checked, by the way, and I got it from Season 1 on Netflix. Currently at Ep 14 or so, the sooty grouse one. So far I've been slightly taken aback buy just one thing in one episode - the one where the locals shoot and eat the howler monkey - but the presenter's attitude toward it changed my opinion a bit.
    That was a very interesting episode to say the least! It really made me think about my assumptions a lot. He also talks about eating dog if I remember correctly which also rattled me a little...

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    That was a very interesting episode to say the least! It really made me think about my assumptions a lot. He also talks about eating dog if I remember correctly which also rattled me a little...
    I'd eat dog a hundred times over monkey. His comments though were interesting. Something along the lines of "I'm upset about this, but I'm upset with myself for thinking that their ways is not the correct way, and I'm upset for thinking that my opinion is going to change the way they have been doing this for years".

This guy just has a way about him. I would LOVE to spend a week in the bush with him. What this show most promotes for me though is how South Africa is missing national land where we can go hunt, legally. We just don't have that, as far as I know, and all our hunting grounds are private.

Yup I remember his comment and it was very thought provoking! I would also do the same regarding dog over monkey but neither where even vaguely on my radar.

The concept of public land hunting is particularly interesting but I cannot decide if its a model which could work here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast