User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Ruger AR 556 - What I think

Ok, so I had at last have my license in hand and collected my Ruger AR 556. It is my first SLR. Up to now the closest I had was my Glock+Micro Roni.

What is my intention with this? Certainly not a professional gun review.... Well, I know, there are thousands of opinions and a vast amount more experience than what I have regarding AR's and their quality and use and reliability etc. But there are also a lot of gun owners that want to get a AR and are not sure what to buy as there are loads of reviews and info available.

My intended use for the AR is for DMG at SADPA club events. I am not highly competitive. Honing my own skills to try and sleep a bit better on the farm with the knowledge that I do know how to use my firearms. You will not find me at Nationals or Provincials etc. I am just a standard club member. So I needed a SLR and the Ruger AR 556 came up at a good price and I had the savings together and bought it. Got a lot of criticism from some friends with smart AR's but a lot more congrats and suggestions regarding improving it over time, and all of those appreciated.

So where are things standing currently if being asked what AR do I have and what I think of the AR 556 for my type of need.

No problems. I love it. Have about 300 rounds through it by now, not one single problem. Yes, it is a bit "gritty", but is still new. After the first 30 rounds it already started smoothing out. It is more than accurate enough for me. Have a 2,5-10X50 scope fitted with quick release mounts (on the farm I do take longer shots). With the scope fitted and PMP 55 gr FMJBT factory ammo it groups clover leaf at 50 meters. Did not have time yet to check longer range accuracy and consistency, but if 50 meters is clover leaf then maybe 1-2 inch at 100 meter with off the shelf ammo! That is good enough for me. The trigger is something to get used to. Also gritty with seriously long creep. The grit getting better, the creep not (as can be expected.) Creep I don't have a huge problem with, am used to a Glock trigger, meaning that I am used to control trigger pull. The Mag release is working good. Inserting a new mag just needs a harder press in to catch than what I expected. It should also get better over time, but yes, I had a mag dropping out that was not inserted with enough force to catch. More driver error than a real problem. A AR mag change (any SLR) is not a gentle process.

PMP, Norinco and Sellier&Bellot ammo all work without any hiccups.

To conclude: As a first time AR owner I can only say to all that I am 100 % satisfied with my Ruger AR 556. If you are wondering if it is fine for a entry level SLR for comparable circumstances, stop wondering. Buy it. It cycles, everything work and it shoot straight.

User

Default Re: Ruger AR 556 - What I think

there are many guys running NORINCO "ar's" and doing well with them
    i have also had a look at the ruger and found it to be value for money

the guys who tease others on firearms based on price are the very same type of people that result in the downscaling of many sports

Nice one Adoons, hope you have many happy days with the ruger. I am still waiting for my further competency and then only license app before I can be as happy as you.

User

Hi

Enquiring on behalf of a friend - which store has stock? and Price?

TIA

User

My license for my ar556 has just been approved. Are you happy with your scope?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Jip. Also bought a "budget"scope. Hawke 2,5-10 x 50, 30 mm tube, IR. It is heavy, but asstated, am using the AR for longer shots as well. On 2,5 magnificationthe sight post is distorting a bit of the sight picture, but not too much, from4 x and upwards I don't see anything of the post in the scope. For reallyclose work on 2,5 I have no problem identifying, aiming and hitting targetseven with the slight greyish area at the bottom of the scope that are the postsinterference. For DMG shoots with my .22 up to now I in any case use a 4x scope and it is just fine for my eyes. Have shot a lot of 0 down stageswith a 4 x scope on my bolt action .22 and end up with good scores. Sothe AR on 4 x should also be and at 4 x the sight picture is clear as previouslystated.

I tried a x 25 and x 30 scope in the gunshop as well. Those don't work. The sight post is blocking the view. I amconsidering removing the sight post (a hacksaw and some filing should do thejob for me, the gasblock looks really strong enough and attached good, sosawing off the post I don't think will have a weakening effect and at nocost). Have mounted the scope with Warne steel scope mounts. Theyare quick detachable and I have checked, the Zero are kept after removing andre attaching the scope. Will need to recheck this before being sure,remember I have not shot it a lot up to now. Warne scope mounts aresomewhat expensive ( R 1600 about), but I don't trust aluminium QD mounts. (Badexperience on other rifles.) .525" height mounts.

If I find that the scopes Zero stays in place over the nextfew weeks after removing and re attaching I will consider a reflex sight or reddot as well to put on should the need arise or the extra weight irritatesme. But for now, the scope is fine, the post is just a bit of a hassle onlow magnification

User

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering a 1-4 powered scope. Clearly that will not work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

The standard for most competitions shooters is a 1-6 or 1-8.

You want a true 1 power magnification scope

There is tons of threads detailing the best optics and uses

I’ve been down the Hawke route when I started shooting. Won’t put them on any of my guns

User

Just a update after about 600 rounds:

The Hawke Scope is still right on the Zero as when sighted in. Still content with that as a budget option.

The trigger is now more than acceptable. Still some creep, as a stock standard AR should have, but breaks clean and crisp. Was considering aftermarket triggers, but am not sure about that cost anymore. Rather buy some more ammo with those funds.

User

I bought a secondhand Ruger, with some mods. It is for me, a noob, a very sufficient firearm and for my purpose more than accurate enough.

Magpul Stock
    Magpul Grip
    DPM Buffer
    ADC Rail
    Spartan Muzzle break
    Redfield Red Dot