Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Default Re: SADPA annual subscription

I must agree with what BigT and others have said here. I am appalled at how many people go to great lengths to buy a semi rifle, possibly just to say they have it, but then they choke on all the costs to actually run it in a 3-gun match. Ammo, extra mags, mag carriers, optics, etc.

Then perhaps, as suggested, the better route is to become proficient at handgun, while putting away some dough to cover the entire cost of acquiring and running a semi rifle at a later stage?
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Then realistically at this time things like DMG are a silly excerise for you. If budget is limited less guns and no2re ammo is the logical answer. Even the price of a cheap AK is a lot of components. And those would be be of far greater use than a rifle you can't get proficient with. Rather be a great pistol shot than mediocre with three guns. Actually competing in a sport will assist with that.
    At what point in hand gun proficiancy should i get before i consider buying a rifle? Win Africa Champs? I shoot Hight SS in IDPA (yes the last 3years i've been cruzing but with 3years old twins time is limited for drifire training between all the other training i do aswell) with a little effort i can probably be EX before the end of the year early next year.

Shotgun i'm nowhere close to as proficiant when it comes to shooting i flinch every now and then but i'mnworking on it, but limited matches makes trigger time limited. I training drifire reloads and stopage clearances every now and then with it aswell. I learned shooting a pistol shooting IDPA mathes mostly, I guess i can learn shooting shotgun and rifle the same way.

I have everything i need for my handguns and shotgun at this point in time so putting a little money i have left every now and then away for a rifle is a logical choice for me. If i have to wait for "unlimited budget" i'll never own anything.

You look at the sport as getting to Champs winning it, etc. I look at a the sport as something i enjoy doing (i SO, i design stages, etc) with in the budget i have (hence i don't shoot IPSC ammo cost is out of my reach) and as a bonus it gives me a means to own the FA's a want.

I don't do road running to win races, i do road running because i enjoy getting out and staying fit. I don't dive to break the deep diving word record i dive because i enjoy diving i love the ocean and it gives me a break away form the stresses of everyday life just like running and shooting.

I would rather be a jack of all trades than the master of one...

TapaDroiding

User

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    I must agree with what BigT and others have said here. I am appalled at how many people go to great lengths to buy a semi rifle, possibly just to say they have it?
    And as I asked what is wrong with that? Why are some of us so hell bent on wanting to say who should own what? If competent what is the issue? I bet that there are numerous people that own guns that are safe queens? Why single out semi auto rifles.

ps. I own a semi auto with decent options for optics, plenty ammo and mags but don’t shoot as often as I would like due to work commitments and availability of matches in the Free State and would like to own more but by the sounds of it I should not be allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    And as I asked what is wrong with that? Why are some of us so hell bent on wanting to say who should own what? If competent what is the issue? I bet that there are numerous people that own guns that are safe queens? Why single out semi auto rifles.ps. I own a semi auto with decent options for optics, plenty ammo and mags but don’t shoot as often as I would like due to work commitments and availability of matches in the Free State and would like to own more but by the sounds of it I should not be allowed?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My intended point was that people should factor in all the costs, prior to purchasing. And, yes, life often gets in the way. Given your schedule restrictions, why don't you design some stages for a DMG, chat to your club SADPA contact for oversight and MD duties , organise a few SOs, and get a date that works for you and others in the same boat? So you do the legwork to setup more DMGs for yourself?
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

My intended point was that people should factor in all the costs, prior to purchasing.
    This is usually overlooked, especially the cost of bullets for the caliber.

User

Local gun guys "we need to grow the sport and get everyone involved to fight for our rights"

Also local gun guys "If you can't afford to be as dedicated as I am, We're better off without you"

User

My intended point was that people should factor in all the costs, prior to purchasing. And, yes, life often gets in the way. Given your schedule restrictions, why don't you design some stages for a DMG, chat to your club SADPA contact for oversight and MD duties , organise a few SOs, and get a date that works for you and others in the same boat? So you do the legwork to setup more DMGs for yourself?
    I try and arrange some shoots but unfortunately it’s not always possible. I am on a project in Kenya and my stints are 6-8 weeks on site and fly home on a Friday only to fly back on the Monday morning. Time at home is very limited but I manage to maintain my DSS with both organizations I am a member of.

I do have a gripe with the notion that we have to jump through hoops to motivate firearms and there are individuals among us that feels we have to prove that we are dedicated to own. “Just because” should be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by AGreeff View Post
    Local gun guys "we need to grow the sport and get everyone involved to fight for our rights"

Also local gun guys "If you can't afford to be as dedicated as I am, We're better off without you"

I agree. Next thing we’ll have to submit a payslip and projected career earnings report before you can buy a gun. If guys want an AR because they like touching it every other day, then so be it. Fulfill the minimum requirements as required by law, and be happy. Although we would like more of them to participate to improve the sport, not everyone wants to participate at competitive provincial or national levels. Hard for me to wrap my head around, but different people do things for different reasons.

We must keep the pool of gun owners as big as possible and as such, keep it as inclusive as possible with the lowest possible barrier to entry. Maintenance of one’s status to for said firearms must also be kept easy and simple.

The reality is, unless there is some highly unlikely intervention, our economy is going to tank. Many more people wont be able to maintain their level of participation and the shooting sports will contract. I have already noticed that at club level.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AGreeff View Post

That's not even slightly it, but you do you boo

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9