Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default SADPA annual subscription

There are rumours that from next year all SADPA subscriptions are to be paid in $ to IDPA directly. Is there any truth in this?

Default Re: SADPA annual subscription

NOT a rumour - sent the below out to my Club members:

SADPA & TAC SHAC DPC RENEWAL of MEMBERSHIP, and NEW MEMBERS for 2018
    (INCLUDING RECENT CHANGES RE. IDPA)
    Welcome to our world!

To join IDPA & SADPA and TAC SHAC DPC will be as follows:

• As from the beginning August 2018 membership has become a bit more complicated but there are more advantages joining IDPA directly as well. Structures will work different than in the past.
    • Tac SHAC DPC will be affiliating with IDPA within the next two weeks, although it is not necessary until next year.
    • You will need to join IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association), SADPA (South African Defensive Pistol Association) and our local Club (Tac SHAC Defensive Pistol Club)

IDPA:

1. You need to join IDPA which is US$ 40.00 and will run from the date that you have joined to the next year the same date. You will need a Credit Card for this.
    2. The link for this is: https://www.idpa.com/join-now
    3. They will then issue you with an IDPA number which you need to forward to myself (lynette@tacshac.co.za ) and Marge Hulleman the Administrator of SADPA (enquiry@sadpa.co.za)

SADPA:

• The cost for this is R 265.00 per year. Unfortunately, this will be valid (until further notice) until the end of February. Separate form and separate bank account. When proof of payment & the scanned form) is sent through to SADPA please copy me in. (Attached). You will need to forward your IDPA correspondence to Marge as above. (Please ignore the fee of R 400.00 as we are waiting for the form to be updated)
    • Membership forms attached.
    • SADPA will assist with keeping the SADPA database up to date and managing your Dedicated Status yearly.

Tac SHAC DPC:

1. Join Tac SHAC DPC. Separate form and separate bank account. (Attached). This costs R 550.00 (R 400.00 yearly fee and R 150.00 once joining of Fee)
    2. We have decided to in-line with the IDPA membership to also make this an annual membership from now onwards. So, if you join on the 1st of January this year your membership will be valid until the 1st of January the next year.
    3. To renew your Tac SHAC DPC membership will cost you R 400.00 per annum.
    4. Tac SHAC DPC members will pay R 100.00 per shoot and visitors R 150.00 per shoot.
    5. Membership forms attached.
    6. (We might have to increase these costs as admin will increase)

Additional requirements:

• As soon as you have finished the joining process you will get access to the SADPA database and then need to do an online NSO Quiz (1st step), NSO (New Shooters Orientation) + Classifier – requirement to do before allowed doing any SADPA shoots.
    • Tac SHAC DPC does it a bit different from other clubs. Usually you must wait until this is organised every couple of months by the respective clubs. We usually do this on demand. The theory gets done at our offices or @ Cecil Payne Shooting Range – takes about 1 – 1.5 hours/ or on the range and then the Classifier needs to be done – standard 25 round shoot to see where you will shoot in your class. The classifier gets done at Cecil Payne and takes about 15 minutes without any travelling time. The Classifier counts as your 1st shoot and will count 4 points towards Dedicated Status. The Classifier itself will cost R 100.00 to cover range fees, etc.

Club shoots:

• Club Shoots takes place every Thursday and starts at 07h15 and end usually 10h30 latest 11h30. We are also starting a once a month Sunday shoot. This costs R 100.00 for club members.
    • To shoot SADPA generally and for the 1st shoot (Classifier) you will need Outside Waistband Holster, and a Double Mag pouch. You will need at least 3 magazines and about 100 rounds. For normal SADPA shoots (Not for classifier) – you will need a concealment garment….
    • As a SADPA member you can participate in any other club shoots. See the shooting calendar on the SADPA web-site….www.sadpa.co.za

Introductory shoots allowed:

• From January 1st, Non SADPA members can join SADPA sanctioned matches for a total of 3 shoots, before you need to formally join SADPA. This gives you the opportunity to try out the sport without actually, joining.
    • Tac SHAC DPC will need a copy of your ID
    • You will need to fill in a new SADPA membership form - without actually, joining. (Attached)
    • You will need to arrive a bit earlier on the day of the shoots so that one of our senior Safety Officers can do an evaluation shoot on one of the ranges.
    • It will, be a good idea to read the rules before joining SADPA: https://www.sadpa.co.za/sadpa_rulebook.pdf

Tac SHAC DPC:
    We run 3 major matches per year:

• Our Easter Sunday Handgun League (1 April 2017 – already completed)
    • Our new Super League (2 X back to back Handgun Leagues) (23 & 24 June 2017) (already completed)
    • Our Halloween DMG – Defensive Multi Gun League (7 October 2017 coming up)

Tac SHAC shoots:

• We will be continuing with our Thursday shoots starting @ 07h30 and ending @ around 10h30 – 11h00. We usually run 6 X stages of around 108 round-count.
    • We will also be introducing 1 X Sunday shoot per month – of which every 2nd month will be a 5 Stage DMG (Defensive Multi Gun) match.
    • Courses Of Fire are always available prior to the shoots.
    • These are all themed shoots and we aim to make these as interesting as possible 

NSO’s :
    We run our NSO’s as and when necessary- you tell us when you’d like to attend, we’ll ask our amazing team to make it happen.

Calendar for the new year for the shootingest club in the country:
    (For the remainder of this year.)

23 August 2018 (Thursday)
    30 August 2018 (Thursday)

September 2018:
    6 September 2018 (Thursday)
    13 September 2018 (Thursday)
    16 September 2018 (Sunday)
    20 September 2018 (Thursday)
    27 September 2018 (Thursday)

October 2018:
    4 October 2018 (Thursday)
    7 October 2018 (Sunday) – Halloween DMG League
    11 October 2018 (Thursday)
    18 October 2018 (Thursday)
    25 October 2018 (Thursday)

November 2018:
    1 November 2018 (Thursday)
    8 November 2018 (Thursday)
    11 November 2018 (Sunday)
    15 November 2018 (Thursday)
    22 November 2018 (Thursday)
    29 November 2018 (Thursday)

December 2018:
    6 December 2018 (Thursday)
    13 December 2018 (Thursday)
    16 December 2018 (Sunday)
    20 December 2018 (Thursday)
    27 December 2018 (Thursday

If IDPA was not happy to work with SADPA, and insisted the local clubs and members follow international norms, why is SADPA still necessary for IDPA ?

User

Dear members

Having recently been appointed the Chairman of SADPA following Vivian Whatley's appointment as IPOC, my first duty is not a very pleasant one. As some of you have no doubt heard, IDPA HQ has informed us that they are retracting the working arrangement previously in place between SADPA and IDPA HQ whereby SADPA would act fully on behalf of IDPA in South Africa. I need to stress that this is not a matter in which we have a choice as it comes from the very top, see correspondence at the bottom of this email.

This change obviously has a dramatic impact on members, clubs and SADPA itself. The change will be introduced in phases during the remainder of 2018 with a view towards SADPA operating as any other region within IDPA from 1 January 2019.

The first change is that effective Monday 23 July 2018, all new members or renewals will have to affiliate with both SADPA and IDPA. IDPA affiliation must be done on the IDPA website and at a cost of $40 per year. This does away with the earlier dispensation of SADPA paying over $10 per member to IDPA. To soften this financial blow, SADPA membership will be reduced by approximately $10 to R265 per annum. Unfortunately, this means that to continue shooting IDPA locally, affiliation costs will basically double.

Other changes will follow and one that I'm aware of is that clubs need to affiliate directly with IDPA. Clubs would also have to pay a fee for presenting Sanctioned Matches (in our local language Leagues and upwards). These changes will apply from next year latest. EDPC has already affiliated for Africa Champs. SADPA as an entity is also affiliated with IDPA to facilitate continued operation of SADPA including granting of DSS. IDPA has also confirmed that we are welcome to host DMG matches with our regional rules. It is likely that significant amendments to the SADPA Constitution will be required, an effort that will take time to work through.

So why the change you may ask? Two important issues drive the decision from IDPA. The first is the inherent inefficiency in capturing SADPA members onto the IDPA database to date. This has caused some unhappiness with other IDPA members when SADPA members compete in matches abroad, with IDPA members objecting to our unique arrangement. Not much we can do about that.

The second reason is much more pertinent even though not overtly stated in the letter from IDPA. IDPA HQ is unhappy about the amount of emails from various SADPA members, usually whe n members have axes of a political nature to grind. As a result, IDPA wanted to take more direct control of the local environment. In this instance, we truly are our own worst enemy. I know the IPOC is working very hard mending fences with IDPA even as he is in the final stages of preparing to host Africa Champs 2018. Even so, repairing our image with IDPA will take some time.

With that in mind, I request all members to utilise proper channels in the event of disputes. That would start with your MD and Club Chairperson. From there you can approach the Exco but please do take the trouble to reference the particular clause in the IDPA Rulebook, Match Administration book or SADPA Constitution in your complaint. Failure to do so will result in a very brief response from Exco. Lastly, you can take the matter up with the IPOC. I, personally but hopefully with the support of the whole Exco, will take a dim view of anything outside these guidelines.

One last matter: Mutterings are already about on the composition of the Exco and the recent changes. I remind members that the Constitution allows Exco to fill a single vacancy at its discretion. There is also a chronic shortage of volunteers (an issue at all levels in the organisation to be sure). Combined with that, from the membership in general there is a chorus of complaints but barely a whisper in solutions. If you want to change the organisation to improve get involved, offer positive solutions, volunteer for work at your club. With so many opportunities to get involved, the apathy evident in members, both at shoots and on social media content greatly disturbs me. And yes, of course getting involved will require effort, tell me about it!

Please bear with the Exco and IPOC during this transition. Even though it comes at a significant price, there are many positives to be gained from closer integration into IDPA. I also believe that SADPA still offers a great value proposition for shooters.

Yours in shooting

JA Hoogenboezem

SADPA Chairman

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    If IDPA was not happy to work with SADPA, and insisted the local clubs and members follow international norms, why is SADPA still necessary for IDPA ?

Because without it you have no association and by extension, no dedicated status, nor any endorsements etc.

Kinda like if i have to join IPDA why do I need to join a club. Hint if you didn't we wouldn't have shoots within a year.

User

Thank you for the info. The logical deduction can therefore be made that all is not well with SADPA. I tried to access this information on their website but am unable to do so. Surely this info must be disseminated to those who are members of SADPA, no official communication has been forwarded to its members. It's a further worrying rumour that their accreditation with SAPS is in jeopardy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by .264 View Post
    Thank you for the info. The logical deduction can therefore be made that all is not well with SADPA. I tried to access this information on their website but am unable to do so. Surely this info must be disseminated to those who are members of SADPA, no official communication has been forwarded to its members. It's a further worrying rumour that their accreditation with SAPS is in jeopardy.
    Nope you assume too much.

IDPA previously had special dispensation for South African members based on a personal favour and personal relationships. As things have changed they appear to have normalized the situation for South African members.

Bear in mind our legal requirements per the FCA aren't IDPA's problem and as a result they don't concern themselves with them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ridwaan87 View Post
    Dear members

Having recently been appointed the Chairman of SADPA following Vivian Whatley's appointment as IPOC, my first duty is not a very pleasant one. As some of you have no doubt heard, IDPA HQ has informed us that they are retracting the working arrangement previously in place between SADPA and IDPA HQ whereby SADPA would act fully on behalf of IDPA in South Africa. I need to stress that this is not a matter in which we have a choice as it comes from the very top, see correspondence at the bottom of this email.

This change obviously has a dramatic impact on members, clubs and SADPA itself. The change will be introduced in phases during the remainder of 2018 with a view towards SADPA operating as any other region within IDPA from 1 January 2019.

The first change is that effective Monday 23 July 2018, all new members or renewals will have to affiliate with both SADPA and IDPA. IDPA affiliation must be done on the IDPA website and at a cost of $40 per year. This does away with the earlier dispensation of SADPA paying over $10 per member to IDPA. To soften this financial blow, SADPA membership will be reduced by approximately $10 to R265 per annum. Unfortunately, this means that to continue shooting IDPA locally, affiliation costs will basically double.

Other changes will follow and one that I'm aware of is that clubs need to affiliate directly with IDPA. Clubs would also have to pay a fee for presenting Sanctioned Matches (in our local language Leagues and upwards). These changes will apply from next year latest. EDPC has already affiliated for Africa Champs. SADPA as an entity is also affiliated with IDPA to facilitate continued operation of SADPA including granting of DSS. IDPA has also confirmed that we are welcome to host DMG matches with our regional rules. It is likely that significant amendments to the SADPA Constitution will be required, an effort that will take time to work through.

So why the change you may ask? Two important issues drive the decision from IDPA. The first is the inherent inefficiency in capturing SADPA members onto the IDPA database to date. This has caused some unhappiness with other IDPA members when SADPA members compete in matches abroad, with IDPA members objecting to our unique arrangement. Not much we can do about that.

The second reason is much more pertinent even though not overtly stated in the letter from IDPA. IDPA HQ is unhappy about the amount of emails from various SADPA members, usually whe n members have axes of a political nature to grind. As a result, IDPA wanted to take more direct control of the local environment. In this instance, we truly are our own worst enemy. I know the IPOC is working very hard mending fences with IDPA even as he is in the final stages of preparing to host Africa Champs 2018. Even so, repairing our image with IDPA will take some time.

With that in mind, I request all members to utilise proper channels in the event of disputes. That would start with your MD and Club Chairperson. From there you can approach the Exco but please do take the trouble to reference the particular clause in the IDPA Rulebook, Match Administration book or SADPA Constitution in your complaint. Failure to do so will result in a very brief response from Exco. Lastly, you can take the matter up with the IPOC. I, personally but hopefully with the support of the whole Exco, will take a dim view of anything outside these guidelines.

One last matter: Mutterings are already about on the composition of the Exco and the recent changes. I remind members that the Constitution allows Exco to fill a single vacancy at its discretion. There is also a chronic shortage of volunteers (an issue at all levels in the organisation to be sure). Combined with that, from the membership in general there is a chorus of complaints but barely a whisper in solutions. If you want to change the organisation to improve get involved, offer positive solutions, volunteer for work at your club. With so many opportunities to get involved, the apathy evident in members, both at shoots and on social media content greatly disturbs me. And yes, of course getting involved will require effort, tell me about it!

Please bear with the Exco and IPOC during this transition. Even though it comes at a significant price, there are many positives to be gained from closer integration into IDPA. I also believe that SADPA still offers a great value proposition for shooters.

Yours in shooting

JA Hoogenboezem

SADPA Chairman
    When was this correspondence issued, i am a SADPA member and its the first time i've seen it. Could you please explain what advantages it holds for it's members?

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Nope you assume too much.

IDPA previously had special dispensation for South African members based on a personal favour and personal relationships. As things have changed they appear to have normalized the situation for South African members.

Bear in mind our legal requirements per the FCA aren't IDPA's problem and as a result they don't concern themselves with them.
    Thank you for the clarrification

User

On another note, your bank will also charge you a 2.75% fee on the rand value for transactions outside South African borders.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast