Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Black powder : Making a powder horn

Members as a sideline project: Making a powder horn for next year`s black powder hunt. It is something I wanted to do for a long time ...This horn is from a bull I shot and slaughter for meat on my friend Chris Moolman`s farm. The skin was turned into leather we will use to make "velskoene" next year. I will upload photos as I make progress...keep in mind I am using modern tools to work on this horn...the old people /hunters did not have new technology...

Banned

Default Re: Black powder : Making a powder horn

Sounds interesting. I'm going to follow this. Goodluck

User

The powder horn is sanded down, still need to remove some dents to get a smooth surface. I made a dummy lid today that fits snug into the open end of the horn. This will be substitute with a hardwood one. I will heat/boil the open end in hot water for a while to soften it to form around the wooden lid when completed. I then will commence with the other end that will be the pouring side where a measuring funnel will be inserted. I will make my own measuring funnel to pour the black powder from the Powder horn:

Banned

Looks cool

User

Hi Gert,

I have done this before. For the wooden endplug use Balsam wood or Yellow Wood- makes it soft to do woodcarving on. The Voortrekkers use to make giometric pattern cavings on this.

Shape the wood well and allow for the tappering horn. Put the open end in warm water prior to inserting the plug- this will allow it to stretch/mold a bit and not split open.Try and find a copper tip from one of the reproduction Powder flasks and add it to the horn if you want it to be more functional than the originals.

Will look for the photos on my old phone and post them. E

Enjoy

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Hi Gert,

I have done this before. For the wooden endplug use Balsam wood or Yellow Wood- makes it soft to do woodcarving on. The Voortrekkers use to make giometric pattern cavings on this.

Shape the wood well and allow for the tappering horn. Put the open end in warm water prior to inserting the plug- this will allow it to stretch/mold a bit and not split open.Try and find a copper tip from one of the reproduction Powder flasks and add it to the horn if you want it to be more functional than the originals.

Will look for the photos on my old phone and post them. E

Enjoy
    Finkelstein, thank you kindly, it is much appreciated. I made the lid from Tambotie wood, I am sure I will be able to carve it into a nice pattern ...I am still scraping the horn to get a luster appearance. Something of interest for those who like to work with wood and have Tambotie wood ...these photos will show how I used a chipping hammer to hit a lot of small holes into the two Tambotie disks I need to glue as the lid...this is to ensure a better bond ..Tambotie wood has a lot of oil..you need to create a course surface to ensure the glue bond well...

I was fortunate to receive rotor blades to use as knife blades:

User

Hi Gert,

I am going to follow this with interest. I am not a black powder shooter, but still find it interesting.
    Would a blesbok horn have sufficient volume to make a powder horn from? I like your use of indigenous Tambotie wood.

Banned

Gert, I've read somewhere that you can also wipe down the wood with thinners to remove some of the oil content before gluing. Teak has a high oil content as well

User

Quote Originally Posted by Drakensberger View Post
    Hi Gert,

I am going to follow this with interest. I am not a black powder shooter, it interesting.
    Would a blesbok horn have sufficient volume to make a powder horn from? I like your use of indigenous Tambotie wood.
    Drakensberger , here are some photos of a blesbok kruit horing made by Volkmar Bungle , one of the black powder hunt participants:

User

I commenced with some carving work on the lid today...will upload photos shortly...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast