Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Alternative Somchem Powder

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

I just bought all the dies etc to start reloading for my Norinco type 56, but of course, there is no S321 powder available... I use S335 for my .308 and .223. Can I use S335 for the 7.62x39 too? If so, any idea of a start load?

User

Default Re: Alternative Somchem Powder

Check Quicksilver's reply in a bullet thread. S265 I believe he said gives a decent burn %

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Check Quicksilver's reply in a bullet thread. S265 I believe he said gives a decent burn %
    Hi Cockroach, yip, S265 is the other Somchem suggested powder but unfortunately that is even more scarce than S321! :(

I emailed Denel and got the following reply from them regarding an alternative powder:

"The burning rate of S321 and S335 is basically the same besides the one is ball powder and the other extruded. With the ball powder more powder is allow in the case not so with S335. We suggest using S335 with the S321 load data as a guide – the max will be compressed or not enough space. S265 will be on the market soon –we did qualify a lot. And S321 will follow."

User

With the price of S265, you may as well buy the millsurp that is around.

User

I asked in another thread a while ago about the availability of ADI (Australia Defence Industries) powder in S.A. and was told by a fellow poster that it wasn't available. What's stopping someone from importing it? (Assuming that that's why it's not available).

User

Just keep in mind that when you do go with S321, that it is generally recommended to use magnum primers instead of standard primers. This is the general recommendation when using spherical propellant.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    I asked in another thread a while ago about the availability of ADI (Australia Defence Industries) powder in S.A. and was told by a fellow poster that it wasn't available. What's stopping someone from importing it? (Assuming that that's why it's not available).
    Logistics and cost of transport and storage I would think.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    Just keep in mind that when you do go with S321, that it is generally recommended to use magnum primers instead of standard primers. This is the general recommendation when using spherical propellant.
    In small cases with less than 40gr of S321 a standard primer might be sufficient. It is worth experimenting as magnum primers are normally dearer than standard.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    In small cases with less than 40gr of S321 a standard primer might be sufficient. It is worth experimenting as magnum primers are normally dearer than standard.
    While a magnum primer may not be absolutely necessary in a 7,62x39 case full of S321, keep in mind that you are already using a powder that is slower than optimal. Any help to speed up ignition and combustion may be beneficial, including a Magnum primer and a tight crimp.

My LGS had a few tins of S265 in stock when I checked on Tuesday...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast