Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New license for a previously licensed firearm

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to find some info on the situation I am in and really struggling.

I am starting with my competency tests now, thereafter I would like to get a firearm license, I have never previously had a license.

My father has a browning high power that was previously licensed but has never been relicensed under the new act/conditions, so as I understand that basically makes it an illegal weapon?

The gun is still in immaculate condition and fires really nicely, specially with the modifications that have been made too it. I would really like to keep this and my father is getting quite old now as well.

My father does not want to go through the process of trying to get a license for it, if this is even possible.

Is there any way for me to legally take ownership of this firearm, without the risk that they will arrest my father or try and confiscate the the weapon.

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

User

Default Re: New license for a previously licensed firearm

Quote Originally Posted by MCD View Post
    Hi Guys,

I’m trying to find some info on the situation I am in and really struggling.

I am starting with my competency tests now, thereafter I would like to get a firearm license, I have never previously had a license.

My father has a browning high power that was previously licensed but has never been relicensed under the new act/conditions, so as I understand that basically makes it an illegal weapon?

The gun is still in immaculate condition and fires really nicely, specially with the modifications that have been made too it. I would really like to keep this and my father is getting quite old now as well.

My father does not want to go through the process of trying to get a license for it, if this is even possible.

Is there any way for me to legally take ownership of this firearm, without the risk that they will arrest my father or try and confiscate the the weapon.

Any advice on this will be appreciated.
    Old license is valid, there should be no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Hi! And please do post an introduction...

As far as I understand it... If he still has the GREEN LICENSE CARD, the gun IS legal, and it can be registered. You will then get the gun licensed under the FCA, of which the competency you are busy with, is a part of...

Thanks for the replies.

We were both under the impression this gun was now unlicensed.
    I will check up on the green card, he does have this.

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this firearm is definitely on the old license still.

My father is still under the impression that because he missed the deadline it is now an unlicensed firearm.

I would really like to go through the license process and take this over.

Can anyone confirm that there is no risk in this?
    Mostly worried about the firearm being confiscated or my father being prosecuted.

User

So this firearm is definitely on the old license still.

My father is still under the impression that because he missed the deadline it is now an unlicensed firearm.

I would really like to go through the license process and take this over.

Can anyone confirm that there is no risk in this?
    Mostly worried about the firearm being confiscated or my father being prosecuted.
    You have nothing to be concerned about.

If as you say it is still licensed, whether it be the old green license or the green ID book it is irrelevant because both are still valid.

If you want to make sure then go to your local DFO and ask him/her to check the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
    You have nothing to be concerned about.

If as you say it is still licensed, whether it be the old green license or the green ID book it is irrelevant because both are still valid.

If you want to make sure then go to your local DFO and ask him/her to check the system.
    Thanks, to check this would I just need to take the DFO the serial number on the firearm?

User

Thanks, to check this would I just need to take the DFO the serial number on the firearm?
    Just your dad's iD number normally

If you can take a copy of the licence as well

Thanks, I will do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast