Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Head shots at 300m - which scope?

Ds J....Your friend will find out that things are not quite as he expected at 200m.

You cannot limit yourself to 100m or 200m ect. You shoot if you feel comfortable about the shot and will be able to call it. This distance will vary according to weather conditions,shooting possition ect.

The trick is knowing when you are comfortable with the shot. This feeling is not something that can be taught,it comes from experience which can only be gained by time behind a trigger.

I think maybe your friend should re consider his ideas on head shots for now.

The farmer where I do most of my hunting for last 20 years just about in Merweville.
    Always say when we go into field. Please rather go for heart shots.
    And leave headshots alone. But if you see a good opening dont aim at head.
    As the brain area very small to hit. Rather then on a Springbuck go for a neck shot.
    As the neck is a large area if you pull the shot. And neck shot will put the Springbuck down.
    Unless your shooting a small caliber.

If your accurate with your rifle in field. Even going for a well placed heart shot on rib cage.
    Will cause very little meat damage at all. If your actually worried about hitting the shoulder
    and causing meat damage. Because your not confident getting a good heart shot through ribcage.
    You should not be confident to take headshot then at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Ds J....Your friend will find out that things are not quite as he expected at 200m.

You cannot limit yourself to 100m or 200m ect. You shoot if you feel comfortable about the shot and will be able to call it. This distance will vary according to weather conditions,shooting possition ect.

The trick is knowing when you are comfortable with the shot. This feeling is not something that can be taught,it comes from experience which can only be gained by time behind a trigger.

I think maybe your friend should re consider his ideas on head shots for now.
    This is correct. Nothing beats experience. My current experience does not allow me to take head shots at 150m. I have tried it twice in my life on request of the farmer and wont easily do so again.

This particular friend shoots better than I do. We will both start practicing longer shots - me for the pleasure; he is serious to extend his capabilities for hunting scenarios.

What we have both learnt from this thread is that it is not an easy feat, and that one has to work towards it with caution.

We both grew up with some field and experience, and both of us have given up "easy" shots because something wasn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    T
    We both grew up with some field and experience, and both of us have given up "easy" shots because something wasn't right.
    An easy shot means that you have hunted well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3