Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Tannerite - Legal?

So in my part time capacity booking courses for a Firearm Training Academy, I got one of my more unusual phonecall queries. A couple, wanting to do a "gender reveal" for their unborn child, enquired about the legality of reactive, explosive targets made with tannerite. Apparently it's all the rage to have someone set up an exploding target at the range, with either pink or blue chalk powder, and when the couple shoot it with a rifle, it explodes and the colour of the powder reveals the gender. They film it with gopros and then send to family etc.

Anyway, does anyone know if it is in fact lawful to make tannerite (ammonium nitrate + aluminium powder)?

I would think that if it were, someone would be making and selling those types of targets in SA already.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Tannerite - Legal?

Nope, it would be in contravention of the Explosives Act.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Nope, it would be in contravention of the Explosives Act.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Also do a search of the forum. Toxxyc copped an earful a couple of years ago if I remember correctly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    So in my part time capacity booking courses for a Firearm Training Academy, I got one of my more unusual phonecall queries. A couple, wanting to do a "gender reveal" for their unborn child, enquired about the legality of reactive, explosive targets made with tannerite. Apparently it's all the rage to have someone set up an exploding target at the range, with either pink or blue chalk powder, and when the couple shoot it with a rifle, it explodes and the colour of the powder reveals the gender. They film it with gopros and then send to family etc.

Anyway, does anyone know if it is in fact lawful to make tannerite (ammonium nitrate + aluminium powder)?

I would think that if it were, someone would be making and selling those types of targets in SA already.

Thanks in advance.
    Perhaps try concoct a non-explosive version thereof? Something that will still leave a flutter of blue or pink chalk when hit.

User

Was thinking of a dark balloon with the chalk dust inside. Might do the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    Perhaps try concoct a non-explosive version thereof? Something that will still leave a flutter of blue or pink chalk when hit.

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Was thinking of a dark balloon with the chalk dust inside. Might do the trick.
    A tin of paint also works. But be prepared to clean up the range afterward!

User

Yeah as soon as you mix the two, you're guilty of manufacturing explosives without a permit.

Get a plastic 2l cooldrink bottle, drill a hole in the cap, fit a tyre valve to it. Pump it up, 100psi is about the safe max. Put it in a cardboard box and add the chalk. That'll make a hell of a boom when you shoot it and send the chalk powder everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Yeah as soon as you mix the two, you're guilty of manufacturing explosives without a permit.

Get a plastic 2l cooldrink bottle, drill a hole in the cap, fit a tyre valve to it. Pump it up, 100psi is about the safe max. Put it in a cardboard box and add the chalk. That'll make a hell of a boom when you shoot it and send the chalk powder everywhere
    Pretty damn inventive!

User

I can't take the credit, saw the bottle cap valve thing on the King of Random's youtube channel. They use water bottles and go up to 60psi, carbonated drinks bottles can go higher

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast