Thread: Zastava M70 375

User

Default Zastava M70 375

Good day guys.

Anyone own one of these, I know the action is good and reliable. What I need to know is does the 375 cartridge fit sufficiently when reloading the mag enabling fast and easy reloading.

Ie can you drop the cartridge in from the top or does it need to be slotted rear side first then lowered to fit the non magnum action.

I live miles away from actually being able to test a few of then.

Regards

User

Default Re: Zastava M70 375

The field guide training school I worked at had one.

I found it much harder to reload than my cz, you had to be much more careful when putting the cartridge in as the fit was much tighter. Almost all the students chose to do their test with the cz.

But with practice it can be done quickly and efficiently.

Also 3 rounds down versus 5 with the cz.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

SBB... I own one with a synthetic stock.

I have had no issues with it in many years hard use other than to once replace the magazine spring.

.Yes the action is rock solid,K98 opened up,controlled feed.
    .If i understand you correctly....yes you can drop a cartridge in from the top and thumb it straight down into the magazine.

Things i found:

.Awefull trigger pull,i installed a Thor trigger
    .Mag capacity of 3 [you may feel limited]...over the course of many years,there were one or 2 occasions where i needed a fourth shot.
    .OAL of reloading ammo is limited to 91mm to fit in magazine. With most bullet choices this leaves a 'jump' of between 3.5 and 6mm. This has never impacted on the accuracy and the rifle shoots Sub MOA all day.
    .I was never really happy with the cheek weld obtained with the synthetic stock,even though it is pretty straight with little drop.I installed a cheek riser and ultimately had a new stock made.......more because i wanted to than was unhappy with the synthetic.

Overall,i carried this rifle almost every day for a number of years,it has been a working rifle with a lot of clients having used it,it has fired litterally close to 4000 rounds [used for a while for Ranger training] and has never let me down.

User

Thanks guys. Yes Pre64 was referring to loading as you stated as being the main concern. The action I trust. Reserve i contract to has rid themselves of a few Howa 375 rugers. They were having chambering issues which I would not have believed unless I saw it first hand. Secondly the Ruger ammo costs are significant. So a suitable affordable workhorse brand is being sort after. 375s for some reason are heavily over priced in my opinion.Thanks again.

User

I have one and I love it. Shoots sub MOA with 300gr VRG3 Peregrine.

Only problem I have had, was with loading so that the ammo just just fit in the magazine, but then have problem extracting the rounds, if not fired.
    But made COL bit shorter and problem sorted.
    This is my bush rifle and have taken from Impala to BWB and no meat damage at all. For the price I paid, don't think you will get better rifle

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes Pre64 was referring to loading as you stated as being the main concern. The action I trust. Reserve i contract to has rid themselves of a few Howa 375 rugers. They were having chambering issues which I would not have believed unless I saw it first hand. Secondly the Ruger ammo costs are significant. So a suitable affordable workhorse brand is being sort after. 375s for some reason are heavily over priced in my opinion.Thanks again.
    One of the reasons for the higher price on 375H&H rifles is the need for a magnum-lenth action. The much lower production volumes of the actions compared to a standard-length action results in a higher price per item. Hence the quest for a 375 built on a standard action (Ruger, Howa) to get prices in line with normal medium calibres.

There are only a few viable options for a DG rifle in 375. I would prefer a controlled feed action. CZ550Magnum/Brno ZKK602, Zastava M70 Magnum, Winchester "Pre-64" Classic, The Ruger M77/Hawkeye or a custom rifle built on a controlled feed action. Did I omit a few?

The 2 most affordable 375H&H rifles seem to be the Zastava, CZ and Winchester, in that order. Winchester has the best fit and finish. CZ is the biggest (action length, mag lenth) and likely the most robust. The Zastava is the most affordable and quite compact with good handling.

As a pure working rifle that is going to be abused at times I would choose the CZ.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    One of the reasons for the higher price on 375H&H rifles is the need for a magnum-lenth action. The much lower production volumes of the actions compared to a standard-length action results in a higher price per item. Hence the quest for a 375 built on a standard action (Ruger, Howa) to get prices in line with normal medium calibres.There are only a few viable options for a DG rifle in 375. I would prefer a controlled feed action. CZ550Magnum/Brno ZKK602, Zastava M70 Magnum, Winchester "Pre-64" Classic, The Ruger M77/Hawkeye or a custom rifle built on a controlled feed action. Did I omit a few?The 2 most affordable 375H&H rifles seem to be the Zastava, CZ and Winchester, in that order. Winchester has the best fit and finish. CZ is the biggest (action length, mag lenth) and likely the most robust. The Zastava is the most affordable and quite compact with good handling.As a pure working rifle that is going to be abused at times I would choose the CZ.
    Thanks AR. Would demand not also be a factor or you think it's action size only? I mean have a look at a CZ in 375 vs 458 lott....Big difference in price.I've owned 2 CZ 375s in my life and concur they are as reliable as one can get.That said with a bit of a discount I can get 2 Zastavas for every 1 CZ at the current price...

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    ..Would demand not also be a factor or you think it's action size only? I mean have a look at a CZ in 375 vs 458 lott....Big difference in price...
    I'd say demand for the magnum action size.

The 375H&H and 458Lott CZ rifles use the same action and should cost the same money to manufacture. I can understand the 375 would sell in bigger numbers than a 458.

And on that action, a 458 needs to be a 3" Express anyway...