Default Large ammo count

So i know all the virtues of dry fire etc, but out if curiosity how would a large amount of ammo (relatively speaking, say 1000) being shot over say a 2 day weekend help a shooter? Obviously we are not talking ammo dumps and wasting it, but maybe 1-3 weekends of 1000 rounds each. starting early in morning and working through the day?

Just a thought and I know the whole concept of rather 200 a weekend every weekend, just a thought and wanted to see if anyone could add in here.

Also more so how would it affect different skill levels? Keeping mind this would be done once in 3-6 month. Rest of time would be minimal shooting..... Or moderate amounts.

User

Default Re: Large ammo count

Well you can shoot 1000 rounds and learn nothing, You can also shoot 100 rounds and have your mind blown. All depends on the instructor if you are taking a course.

Defferent drills expose different weak points in your skill tree. For instance after the last dot torture i ran past 5m my strong hand and weak hand suffered so i spent 600 rounds on saturday just working on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    Well you can shoot 1000 rounds and learn nothing, You can also shoot 100 rounds and have your mind blown. All depends on the instructor if you are taking a course.

Defferent drills expose different weak points in your skill tree. For instance after the last dot torture i ran past 5m my strong hand and weak hand suffered so i spent 600 rounds on saturday just working on those.
    This. I can pretty much close the thread now.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

And different skill levels? How would a large amount like this help or hurt a new shooter vs a seasoned pro who would obviously learn a ton.

User

Practice with purpose and planning otherwise it ends up being ballistic masturbation. Like Grant9 did, practice what needs to improved, master it, move onto the next skill.

500 round training session this weekend with 1911. Literally 2-3 targets and I learnt bucketloads

You can learn sometimes alot just dry firing without even firing 1 shot.

Many years back. An older guy who showed me some techniques.
    Had us place a coin on top of slide. And pull trigger without it falling off.
    On a Glock this is easier as slide is flat on top.
    But try it with something like Beretta 92 with rounded barrel.

Dry firing shows you that dreaded flinch where you anticipate recoil.

User

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    And different skill levels? How would a large amount like this help or hurt a new shooter vs a seasoned pro who would obviously learn a ton.
    A seasoned pro is unlikely to learn a lot, since he should know all that already. He is just practising what he knows already and improving his times, accuracy etc.

A novice shooter is also unlikely to learn much if he is just shooting a lot of ammo. The quality of instruction he recieves will determine his potential for learning. Without that, he will just be producing brass (which is fun too! ) and ingraining bad habits. This will take more effort to unlearn later...

User

as A-R said, I would imagine if a novice goes and dumps 1000 round on a day or weekend, without proper instruction and guidance, it is no better than driving with your dad's bakkie on the farm when you are learning to drive... it will be lots of fun, but wil teach you nothing, and more likely just embed the bad habbits, and incorrect technique...