Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Bloemfontein shooting range - a bad experience...

So I visited the Bloem shooting range the past weekend with some fellow shooters.
    Please note, - I called the SA Hunting Ass beforehand in order to find a range in Bloem where we could shoot.
    Was told that Bloem shooting Range is the only outdoor range and they had one indoor range also in Bloem.
    Had Shotguns and pistols with us.
    On arrival we could see that Macau had a competition going on, - ok no shotguns today was told.
    Went to pistol range - no one there.
    Went to long rifle range - people there told us no pistols at the pistol range as they will have their monthly shoot in the next 2 weeks and ONLY then can we shoot.
    Also no shooting without a R.O ON THE SPECIFIC range.
    Basically we was not very welcome and we will not be allowed to shoot.
    I really got the feeling that this was a case where the range was run as a private club where they will say who and where can shoot - run in a military precision manner!
    Also met two guys from out of town, but members, there, set they waited for three hours before somebody came to open the range which they booked and wanted to shoot on.
    Now if this is the case, I respect that but feel very sorry for people who want to practice and shoot their firearms on a weekend in Bloem.
    Maybe we didn't get to the right people or maybe this is just the way they do it there.
    All I can say is that at my two clubs in Gauteng, there is a range officer on the range but obviously with all the people coming and going he cannot be on each different pistol, rifle, shot gun, steel plates, et cetera range every single minute of the day.
    As far as I know there's never been an accident and the range is run in a professional manner.
    If there is somebody from Bloem on this forum please enlighten me and tell me where I went wrong the past weekend so that if I go there again I can fire a few rounds.
    Just my two cents worth, but the times we are living in, it is really up to the citizens to arm themselves, not only with fire arms, but also the knowledge on how to use them and this should not be the privilege of only a few in some private club being run as if no one els is welcome.

I state again that I'm not posting this to piss off anybody, I am merely a gun lover wanting to shoot my guns in a professional safe environment.

User

Default Re: Bloemfontein shooting range - a bad experience...

I have no idea which specific range you visited, but that is definitely not the only range in Bloemfontein. Bloem is the shooting mecca of SA with many ranges and especially many rifle ranges available. There are military ranges and various private ranges. I attended a competition shoot this past weekend that was held on the Free State Hunters' range out on the R700 (past shell ultra city).

User

I was at the one on the Reddersburg road.
    I sincerely hope that you have more than that one shooting range. Maybe you can point me in the right direction so that next time I visit there I can sling a few rounds without offending anybody.

User

Quote Originally Posted by La Morte View Post
    I was at the one on the Reddersburg road.
    I sincerely hope that you have more than that one shooting range. Maybe you can point me in the right direction so that next time I visit there I can sling a few rounds without offending anybody.

I should have pointed out that I was merely visiting there. I'm from Limpopo.

Find somebody there to help you. Maybe Freestate Hunters have a website? One of the gunshops? There are other options too.

I have shot on a range on the Western side, some km's off the tar road. Not sure which road (Dealesville?), was the one past "Die Skietwinkel". Speaking of which, they have a shooting tunnel near the shop.

Long time ago there was the "Hamilton" military shooting range in the city. I would not expect it to be operational anymore.

There is the huge shooting complex on De Brug, which are military ranges but can at times be used by civilians.

User

BSS (Bloemfontein Skiet Sentrum) hosts many different clubs of which the practical shooting club is one. I can only comment on the practical shooting club. We are open on Saturdays from 12H00 - 16H00 hours with a member on duty at those times. I know that there were people practicing on Saturday but usually we close up if there are no one shooting. We have a whatsapp group to inform members of this.

We have found in he past that a member can sit there the whole day without anybody pitching up at the range.

User

Get the chairman/secretary cell no and phone in advance stating what you what to shoot and what day and time. A few years back the IPSC range was fullhouse on a Saturday and Sunday

User

Good day you welcome to contact they guys at Wildealskloof Shooting Range Bloemfontein https://wildealskloofshootingrange.co.za

Now you have a good reason to come visit CPT and come shoot at Durbanville Shooting Range.

We always have RO's on duty on all the ranges. Even with backups on the ranges.
    You will never find any of the ranges withou a RO.

User

PM sent

In order to improve service delivery to the public I will appreciate if you can contact me directly. 0828085131

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast