Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: A note from SAADA on "powerful" airguns

I do not agree with High Power's statement...

The act says the following:
    airgun means any device manufactured to discharge a bullet or any other projectile-
    (a) of a calibre of less than 5,6mm (.22 calibre); or {my emphasis}
    (b) at a muzzle energy of less than 8 joules (6 ft-lbs),
    by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant

So lets break the 'easy bits' down first...

"by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant" ie NOT a center fire or rim fire rile... we agree on this. Weather by spring, or PCP, it is air powered. The spring drives a plunger, which compresses air behind a pellet...

The confusing bit is the middle section...
    (a) of a calibre of less than 5,6mm (.22 calibre); or {my emphasis}
    (b) at a muzzle energy of less than 8 joules (6 ft-lbs),

According to this, in section (a) it states that a rifle less than 5.5mm is NOT a firearm without any restriction on the power of the rifle...
    then, in section (b) it states, as a separate condition, if your rifle produces less than 8joules of energy, it is NOT a firearm, without any restriction on the caliber...

The key here is the OR. It makes the 2 items independent of each other. if it was an AND, it would be a different ball game...
    So as stated above...
    (a) less than 5.6mm, any power, you are safe, no license required...
    (b) any caliber, less than 8 joules energy, you are safe, no license required...

however... you have a 50 cal Air Gun, shooting a pellet at 1000fps.... THIS is considered a firearm, requiring a license...

5.55mm bullet with great sectional density driven at 4000fps... should work...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Kritzinger,
    I agree fully.
    But bear n mind that that is only the definition of an "airgun".
    More importantly is the definition of a firearm which includes
    "(d) device manufactured to discharge a bullet or any other projectile of a calibre of 5.6 mm (.22 calibre) or higher at a muzzle energy of more than 8 joules (6 ft-lbs), by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant;"
    So a .22 Calibre or bigger airgun must also be of a certain power level before it is a firearm and needs to be licenced.
    There's another problem though which to my mind is far more telling.
    What do we understand by the word "calibre"?
    The bullet in a ".44 Magnum" or ".44 Remington Magnum" calibre handgun as we all know has a diameter of .429".
    The bullet diameter as we all know of a ".38 S&W" calibre weapon is .357".
    So a designated calibre may well have a bullet diameter which is less than the nominal calibre as above, (or it may be greater than the nominal calibre such as a ".303 Brit").
    A .22 Airgun designated as having a calibre of ".22" AIR may well shoot bullets of a lesser diameter than the nominal calibre (as does the ".44 Magnum") but it may still fall within the definition of a firearm.
    Just a thought.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4